VOGONS

DgVoodoo 1 Discussion Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!

I have tested "GTA" but only HUD is showing. When I change resolution ingame then all graphics are drawn. Also I tryed

Well, I don't understand what you mean under HUD. Could you take a screenshot, plz?

"Schleichfahrt"("Archimedean Dynasty" is the same game) but here is also only the HUD drawn. "Tomb Raider 1" works very

Yes, Arch Dynasty doesn't work with dgv for unknown reasons. But, I'm gonna download the full version (thanks for the link), and try to have a look at there. 😎

it crushed my computer totally once

Zebius, does it mean ATI-like rebooting? I'm getting discontented with nVidia drivers as well (as for new ones), even if crushing has nothing to do with them.

Windows XP). Dege removed setting of depth buffering from this version, so I can't change it. In 1.31 I just had to toggle 'Emulate W-buffering' on to solve that problem.

Hmm.. Yes, I removed, because 1.40 should detect it automatically whether true W-buff is available or not, but then it seems to fail (so that it's crap). Does it mean 1.40 doesn't work on ATI at all? 😮 😒
Internally all the options are kept (force using w-buff, force emulating, make decision on hw capabilities reported by the driver, or do a drawing test), but they cannot be set via the setup. By default, this is set to the fourth option.

1. How do I get rid of the white fog in all of the Carmageddon levels where there shouldn't be any?.

Might try to disable fog in game options. But, I'm curious now, fog in all levels where it shouldn't be?.. 😐

2. What happened to the bilinear filtering for sprites?, I'd like to make'em look blurry as usual, not edgy.

Yes, try to enable 'Force bilinear filtering'.

Reply 81 of 341, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Zebius, does it mean ATI-like rebooting? I'm getting discontented with nVidia drivers as well (as for new ones), even if crushing has nothing to do with them.

Hi! 😀
I just got black screen once, ctrl+alt+delete and other combinations didn't work so I had to reboot by pressing reset button. I messed with setings and had no crushes anymore. Just that W-buffering problem. If this W-buff auto-detect doesn't work in all cases maybe it will be better to add manual setting. I'm using Forceware 77.50, it's beta, but very good in all of my games.

Attachments

• GTA.jpg
    Filename
    GTA.jpg
    File size
    24.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    And here is a screen from GTA demo on 1.40b, I tried different settings but still get the same black screen, as I said 1.31 works fine.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 82 of 341, by INGA-KX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Might try to disable fog in game options. But, I'm curious now, fog in all levels where it shouldn't be?.. 😐

The probelm ain't the presence of fog but it's color. Carmageddon has 3 kind of levels: the white fog levels, the black fog levels (dark/night) and the fogless levels. dgVoodoo seems to be making the fog white in dark levels as well. Disabling fog from the Carmageddon menu is something I wouldn't like to do, such could kill depth and playability in the game.

Yes, try to enable 'Force bilinear filtering'.

If I didn't I wouldn't have known they no longer look the same 🙁
Sprites used to get blurry edges in previous dgVoodoo versions when bilinear filtering was enabled, now they seem to be outlined in black so the already squary sprites look even more squary.

As an extra, I have problems taking screenshots, it says "Saving LFB to file has failed".

Reply 83 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I finally set up my new PC with ATI card, and did some tests.
Indeed, detecting w-buff capability fails, and there are a few strange drop-back-to-desktops.
So, 1.40Beta is crap and useless, don't bother with it anymore. Shouldn't have released it. 😁

But at least I didn't experienced reboots with DOS games (with Catalyst 5.6).

GTA: seems to be an LFB-handling bug. That's why I hate to totally rewrite/refactoring existing codes, always brings in a couple of new bugs, but I had to do it in order to be able to come out with new features/new interface implementations later. (and, to make the code simpler, it's important only for me, but it's important!)

INGA: in what levels should the fog be dark? I could debug around there too.

Reply 84 of 341, by Bandie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege,
this is to let you know, that we the pod fans, are really happy about the new 1.40b Version because the new lansflare feature ist working very well 😉

More details with screenshots etc. are in the pod board.

Thanks to you Dege and best regards. Well done man!

regards, Bandie
Bandies Racing Board!

Reply 85 of 341, by Flint Eastwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

@Dege
Zebius has made a wonderful shot of GTA. This is the same screen I got.
HUD means Heads Up Display that shows Health, Score, Ammo and so on...
Sorry for that shortcut. Please read the post I write here for Zebius. It may be also interesting for you.
Thank you for taking an eye on archimedean dynasty, it makes me hope(With Glidos I never came into a mission 😉 ).

@Zebius
You're right on Archimedean Dynasty. On my GeForce PC I first had Win98Se and DGVoodoo 1.31 and I found that some missions were playable and the graphics were very fine. Some other missions crushed on loading. I had to use server mode and didn't hide the console to get so far(sorry but I don't remember all the settings). But now since I'm using WinXP I get only the HUD and the rest is black(Using VDMSounds Nolfb and Mouse2kv helped to get so far, the VESA Support of dgvoodoo seems not working on mission-loading).
I have seen your GTA screenshot. Try pressing F10(or F11? 🤐 ). Then you can change the resolution of the game. This helped me. Surprisingly all graphics were drawn then.
I'm sorry but I have not testet TR1 with 1.40b yet. 😦 But I will do this soon. 😀

Reply 86 of 341, by TomB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a better solution to the carmageddon fog problem.

Increasing the draw distance & turning off the fog.

screenshot attached

Ok, that's a little excessive but it's better than the fog white or black.

To do this open up carmageddon\data\options.txt and increase the values called YonFactor and Yon. I set them both to 500 there and it lowered my framerate by a lot. I was getting around 20fps. One of them is the distance that the level comes on and one is the distance trees, lamp posts and signs appear. I dont know which is which though. I reccomend putting them to around 150. Doesnt seem to affect framerates too much.

Attachments

• Filename
    carmadraw.jpg
    File size
    238.78 KiB
    Downloads
    367 downloads
    File license

Reply 87 of 341, by Vigilante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I'm back from the dead (and with a new account 🤣)

It's good to see some activity regarding dgVoodoo again 😁

It would be interesting to hear if Carmageddon is still rebooting for other people as well with recent Catalyst versions... Nasty problems like this one take time and I'm sure it will be fixed eventually 😀

Reply 89 of 341, by Vigilante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, could you tell us which OS you are using, if you are using VDMSound and which Carmageddon version? (normal, german, pass-protected max pack, etc)

I've tried running the game in server mode now, but it gives me the following error message: 'Failure: Could not start driver'

I'm getting the exact same error when launching the normal carma.exe with the -hires parameter (640x480 switch), but the normal carma.exe without parameters works fine.

I've also tried running it with VMDSound, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'll let you people now if I get it working.

Reply 90 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vigilante,

Does it fail to start in windowed mode (or, just say, in full screen)?
I've found an annoying bug that can keep dgv from starting in full screen mode, that's why it drops you back to the desktop. For me, this bug have never come out with nVidia , but it did with ATI. (And it is in all the versions released so far.)

Zebius has made a wonderful shot of GTA. This is the same screen I got.
HUD means Heads Up Display that shows Health, Score, Ammo and so on...
Sorry for that shortcut. Please read the post I write here for Zebius. It may be also interesting for you.

Ah, thanks. I tried out GTA again on GF5700, and it worked properly in each case (I experimented with VDD vs server mode in 16/32 bit, using/not using texture tiles, etc). I'm going to try it with ATI, I hope I can reproduce that bug. Could you sent me what setting you are using, plz?
(I know that supporting GTA is unnecessary now that it's re-released with DX support for modern PCs, but there is a bug in the wrapper after all. 😀 )

Reply 91 of 341, by Vigilante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Done a fresh reinstall of the Catalyst 5.6 drivers, but still the same error. Because the game outputs the same error message when I run carma.exe -hires, it's safe to conclude that this error has nothing to do with dgVoodoo. It *might* be that the 5.6 drivers are the cause of the problem. I don't have any other explanation for the game not working now when launching the 3dfx exe or normal with -hires.

Apparently the 3dfx version launch also triggers the use of higher resolution game assets.

I will do a reinstall of carma from the retail disc and try other recent catalyst versions. I'm sure I will get the damn thing to work eventually 😦

Reply 92 of 341, by TomB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried Carma95.exe -hires? That's always worked wonderfully for me. It's how i've played carma since I discovered you could run it at better resolutions with a glide weapper. I'm running Windows XP Pro and the version of carmageddon I have is from a publisher called replay from a rerelease of carmageddon from several years ago. Yes i'm using VDMSound, the sndsetup.exe detects a sound card but i can't actually get any sounds in game. Running Sndsetup.exe and carmav.exe through VDMS does the trick.

By the way, is there anywhere that says what all the options in dgvoodoo do? I've played around with them and increased the visual quality through trial and error but it'd be nice to know what i'm actually turning on and off.

Also, until I set the display driver to Direct 3d manaully carmageddon was tinted blue and had black lines running down the screen.

Reply 94 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tested the stuff again, this time with an X600 and Cat 5.6 (XP, SP1).
Everything worked very fine, there was no reboots.., nothing!
Even GTA worked. Something is weird.

I don't know what it depends on, I don't think it has to do something with the 3d card type itself. Should we make a reproduction package for ATI? The problem is we don't even know what the problem is exactly... 😁

By the way, is there anywhere that says what all the options in dgvoodoo do? I've played around with them and increased the visual quality through trial and error but it'd be nice to know what i'm actually turning on and off.

It's in the readme, in the "using setup" section.
(OK, maybe it's very confusing since my English isn't that good, I guess readme is full of grammatical faults, etc. 😀 )

Also, until I set the display driver to Direct 3d manaully carmageddon was tinted blue and had black lines running down the screen.

What did you set it to before? I'm curious.

Last edited by Dege on 2005-07-06, 08:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 95 of 341, by TomB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I did look in the readme when I first got dgvoodoo then I forgot about it :p

What did you set it to before? I'm curious.

Actually, it looks like that's not the problem. (I was sure that was it. It must have been one of the other options). I've attached a screenshot of the problem. This is running in server mode with dgvoodoo's default settings. (dgvoodoo 1.31). If you look closely at the screenshot you can see that every other row is tinted blue. It's actually not black lines, but correctly rendered. The blue lines are the problem. I'll try turning on the options to my current settings one at a time until i find which one fixed it.

As for the rebooting in vdd mode, i'm running SP2 and a 9800 Pro with catalyst 5.6 and it happens. Maybe it's the newer generation of cards work? Maybe it's SP2.

Attachments

• Filename
    carmaproblem.PNG
    File size
    164.82 KiB
    Downloads
    283 downloads
    File license

Reply 96 of 341, by Vigilante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TomB wrote:

As for the rebooting in vdd mode, i'm running SP2 and a 9800 Pro with catalyst 5.6 and it happens. Maybe it's the newer generation of cards work? Maybe it's SP2.

I'm running SP2 w/9700pro, but the gpu model shouldn't matter.. I'm sure the Catalyst drivers are causing it.. The problem starts from Catalyst version 4.7 up to the current 5.6.

Reply 97 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

rendered. The blue lines are the problem. I'll try turning on the options to my current settings one at a time until i find which one fixed it.

Oh, wait, now I remember! 😦
I noticed this problem after I released 1.31. It's actually a bug in 1.31, coming out only in server mode, in 16 bit. One of the buffer copying routines was crap. So, don't experiment with settings, it's a known bug, but I've never talked about it.

I'm going to upgrade to SP2, we will see what it causes. 😐