VOGONS

Open-sourcing dgVoodoo?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by roshiahito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! First, I just want to say that I can't thank you enough for your work.
I thought I would never be able to play Sims 1 under Linux as Wine's implementation of DirectX7 has issues with that game, but now it's running perfectly using dgvoodoo in tandem with DXVK, D3D11 to Vulkan translation layer.
But as a member of Linux community, I can't say that I am not a little bit bugged out that it's closed source. So here's an idea: why not open-source it?
I think it would be a great contribution to the community and help out a lot people (for example, students who may use it in their projects, or other enthusiasts). You may even benefit from it yourself as other people would be able to contribute to the project and advance its progress!
And open-sourcing software is not scary at all and doesn't bring any problems. For example, you can use permissive BSD license (preferably 3-clause one, which is protective of the copyright owner) and even add a your own clause that requires people who may use the source code to notify you about it, as you seem to care about it. Or add a clause that doesn't allow commercial use by anyone but you. Whatever you want really!
I really hope you at least consider this. But if you don't want to, it's perfectly fine 😀
Cheers!

Reply 1 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I managed to convince Dege to open-source dgVoodoo 1 (Glide wrapper only) a few years ago when he abandoned that code base in favor of dgVoodoo 2.

dgVoodoo 1.40plus : http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=55,0

dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta3: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=55,0

He released them as GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1.

It is possible he may do the same with dgVoodoo 2 when he abandons it, or he may not - it's up to Dege.
I am not sure that he would do it before he's abandoned the project based on precedent, but who knows, maybe! 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
roshiahito wrote:

Not at all? What about maybe opening it up as "You can look but not modify/copy/use for anything"? Just for people who are curious about his it all works.

Hmmm.. that wouldn't work at all. There would inevitably be someone who would save the code and then be able to make their own version of it.

Badger the person enough and they might just stop development all together.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK