VOGONS

First post, by atom0s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, fellow developer here wanting to report a bug I am noticing with some of my personal software. While users of my modifications are using dgVoodoo they are experiencing high memory usage and crashes due to a memory leak.

I got dgVoodoo to confirm the issue and am able to reproduce it both in the actual game I make modifications for as well as a simple D3D8 test window that does some basic drawing.

Specifically, there appears to be a memory leak with IDirect3DDevice8::CreateStateBlock.

Example of recreating the bug/leak:

// Create a state block of all information..
DWORD stateBlockToken = 0;
device->CreateStateBlock(D3DSBT_ALL, &stateBlockToken);

// Scene adjustments and rendering here..

// Restore the state block..
device->ApplyStateBlock(stateBlockToken);
device->DeleteStateBlock(stateBlockToken);

CreateStateBlock will allocate space that does not appear to be cleaned up properly when calling DeleteStateBlock.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!

Yes, thanks for the feedback, I'm aware of that. That ugly leak is present in the latest release (2.55.4) but I fixed it months ago in the WIP (work in progress) releases.
I didn't plan any further releases for 2.55 but if it's a serious issue in practice then I could release 2.55.4.1 with the bug fixed.

For what game do you make modifications? FFXI?

Reply 2 of 5, by atom0s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

Yes, thanks for the feedback, I'm aware of that. That ugly leak is present in the latest release (2.55.4) but I fixed it months ago in the WIP (work in progress) releases.
I didn't plan any further releases for 2.55 but if it's a serious issue in practice then I could release 2.55.4.1 with the bug fixed.

For what game do you make modifications? FFXI?

FFXI, yes. Thanks for the heads up will let my users know to use the WIP for now.

For FFXI this is a common issue that many users will land up hitting due to the various mods for the game making use of state blocks for custom rendering.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I compiled the fixed version of 2.55.4:

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1_dbg.zip

Could you check it out plz?
If everything is working as expected then I'll release it (I mean I'll make it available on my website).