VOGONS

First post, by hooby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing through the game recently using software rendering and am just trying to get 3D working.

dgVoodoo looks terrific, but there is something going on between this game and full screen scaling.
Pretty much no matter what I try, the game will be stretched on my 1080p monitor.
I would like to run it at 800x600.

I have the Radeon setting for scaling to preserver aspect ratio, and it definitely works with OpenGL games.
I also tested it with Blade of Darkness (D3D with dgVoodoo) and scaling there works fine.
After going back through a few older versions of dgVoodoo, the issue is still there.
This is using the Steam exe of the game.
What's even more weird is that not even the built-in dgVoodoo scaling options have any effect; the game will still be stretched.

Any ideas?

Could it be due to how the game menu interacts with the 3D mode?

My system info:
Radeon Software Version - 18.12.2
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 980 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Reply 1 of 1, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game used to have issues on Windows 7 (/Vista?) and could only be launched with the "-windowgui" command line switch. This puts the menu and the cutscenes inside a 640x480 window that doesn't rely on ddraw (and also does not utilize dgVoodoo if you want to use it.)

When the game was released on GOG, they apparently made the game compatible with Windows 7 by making that windowgui mode the default one but without a window border and with the desktop switching to 640x480 so that the menu seems fullscreen. This fixed game version was later also ported to Steam. You can verify that the menus are not rendered by dgVoodoo by enabling the watermark.

If you want to take advantage of dgVoodoo (for menus/cutscenes that is) you have to replace the exe with a non GOG/Steam one like this: https://web.archive.org/web/20150619121255/ht … /JKSteamFix.zip