VOGONS

First post, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there. First of all, thanks for this wonderful wrapper.
I was following the discussion in the WIP versions thread until it got closed, specifically, the topic about "Artificial Academy 2" not being rendered correctly. Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, or maybe I missed it, I want to mention that this problem affects all ILLUSION "anime-looking-style" DX9 games, including:
School Mate 1, School Mate Sweets!, @Home Mate, School Mate 2 and Artificial Academy 1. Wakeari!, Ore ga Shujinkou (I'm the Hero), Happy End Trigger and Musumakeup! are probably also affected, but I can't test them right now.
The good news is that it seems to be fixed with the compiled D3D9 version released on that thread, but v2.6 still renders them with problems; I guess the fix was not included in the last release.

I've also run into rendering problems using dgVoodoo2 with Sexy Beach 3 (DX9) when antialiasing is being applied.
Also, their first fully 3D game, "BIKŌ" which is a DX5 (or DX6) game has FPS problems (making it unplayable)... but I guess I'm the only one still running such ancient software.

The following screenshots were taken using v2.6 with default settings, and the results were the same in two different machines, one with W8.1x64 and a GTX 1050 Ti (399.24 drivers), the other with Vista and a GT 440 (341.44 drivers).

Sexy Beach 3 (DX9): Issues when applying AA. Noticeable when applying oils, or sometimes randomly. Black lines appear at the neck and across body.
No AA, or how it should look:

SB3Plus xmas_2019_07_16_12_50_52_786.png
Filename
SB3Plus xmas_2019_07_16_12_50_52_786.png
File size
832.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

With AA through dgVoodoo2, in this case 8x:

SB3Plus xmas_2019_07_16_12_54_04_586.png
Filename
SB3Plus xmas_2019_07_16_12_54_04_586.png
File size
989.68 KiB
Views
File license

BIKŌ (DX5?): Massive FPS drop. The game needs D3DRM.dll and W95/98/ME compatibility mode to work.
https://youtu.be/JAPIWquOK8c

Last edited by unmei220 on 2019-08-08, 15:03. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, the solution is not included in the latest released version, I'm going to include that in the next patch version.
I think the texture problems have the same root for all Illusion games (DX9), plz see the Aritifical Academy 2 thread.

Forced MSAA can break rendering and introduce various glitches, it's not a 'guaranteed' feature.
Is there any playable demo of BIKO I could download?

Reply 2 of 3, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your reply.
I rechecked the AA2 thread and the WIP versions post but didn't found anything relating to the issue with SB3, or maybe I didn't understood something.
SB3 don't have "Hue" controls, so that can't be causing the texture issues in it.
It also happens on my Braswell Intel HD Graphics (15.40.38.4963 drivers) notebook with Win7x64, so the problem with SB3 it's not nVidia-only related.

Here's a screenshot with the Intel iGPU, I had to turn on "Inherit Color Profile in full screen mode", otherwise it all looked with a yellowish tint. Again, no problems with MSAA turned off, and here's with MSAA set to 4x:

SB3Plus xmas 2019-07-18 12-27-03-50.png
Filename
File size
448 KiB
Views
File license

One thing I forgot to mention previously: this only happens starting from the 2nd time you met a girl onwards. The first time you met a girl and the game loads the 3D model and the location, etc, it all looks perfect. Starting from the 2nd time onwards is that the black line issue starts showing up. Also, it's not related to tanning/using oils as I previously assumed, no need to do that.
Here's a video showing what I'm trying to say:
https://youtu.be/n30XW3FvtrM

I know there's no guarantee MSAA will work flawlessly, I recall reading about that in the dgVoodoo2 readme's or the website, before I started using dgV2. The reason I'm posting about this game specifically is because all other Illusion DX9 games (except cel-shaded ones, like AA2 and the others I mentioned before) run flawlessly, including Artificial Girl 3, Hako, R*peLay, etc. It's just this one game from their DX9 era that shows just that one issue.

I don't have any playable demo of BIKŌ 1. There was a benchmark demo released back in 1999, but not even the Internet Archive has a copy of it.

Reply 3 of 3, by karigal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you use Windows 10..? How do solve game lag for this

unmei220 wrote on 2019-07-18, 16:06:
Thanks for your reply. I rechecked the AA2 thread and the WIP versions post but didn't found anything relating to the issue with […]
Show full quote

Thanks for your reply.
I rechecked the AA2 thread and the WIP versions post but didn't found anything relating to the issue with SB3, or maybe I didn't understood something.
SB3 don't have "Hue" controls, so that can't be causing the texture issues in it.
It also happens on my Braswell Intel HD Graphics (15.40.38.4963 drivers) notebook with Win7x64, so the problem with SB3 it's not nVidia-only related.

Here's a screenshot with the Intel iGPU, I had to turn on "Inherit Color Profile in full screen mode", otherwise it all looked with a yellowish tint. Again, no problems with MSAA turned off, and here's with MSAA set to 4x:
One thing I forgot to mention previously: this only happens starting from the 2nd time you met a girl onwards. The first time you met a girl and the game loads the 3D model and the location, etc, it all looks perfect. Starting from the 2nd time onwards is that the black line issue starts showing up. Also, it's not related to tanning/using oils as I previously assumed, no need to do that.
Here's a video showing what I'm trying to say:
https://youtu.be/n30XW3FvtrM

I know there's no guarantee MSAA will work flawlessly, I recall reading about that in the dgVoodoo2 readme's or the website, before I started using dgV2. The reason I'm posting about this game specifically is because all other Illusion DX9 games (except cel-shaded ones, like AA2 and the others I mentioned before) run flawlessly, including Artificial Girl 3, Hako, R*peLay, etc. It's just this one game from their DX9 era that shows just that one issue.

I don't have any playable demo of BIKŌ 1. There was a benchmark demo released back in 1999, but not even the Internet Archive has a copy of it.