VOGONS

First post, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to run this game on modern computers using dgvoodoo 2? At first, the image did not appear to me, but after changing the graphics card in the dgvoodoo panel it showed up.
With dgvoodoo 2 the image on the menu is displayed correctly (although in a small window around which there is a large and thick black border), however, launching a new game = error and the crash of the game

Reply 1 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How did you install this game?
It has a 16 bit installer (or launcher) but no matter if I install it in a VM, QuickTime 3 is still needed.
I have a newer version of that installed on my machine, and the game just doesn't start but I don't know if QuickTime is the reason.

Reply 2 of 7, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should copy the entire contents of the game disc to your hard disk (which may be a problem because sometimes the system will display an error regarding copying files).
Nevertheless, if we manage to copy the game's installation files to the disk, including folders, all we have to do is download the general InstallShield installer (https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … eric-installer/) and paste it where we have pasted the copied game installer to disk. And so you can install the game

Reply 3 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, the 32 bit version of the installer helped.
However, I still can't run the game. It just changes display mode and crashes before going further.

I cannot figure out if it's because of the QuickTime version I installed earlier (the game setup didn't launched the distributed QT installer).
Could you plz try the game with the dbg version of dgVoodoo and attach the log? I'm curious if there is an ERROR or WARNING entry about failed surface creation and such. If there is then there is hope to fix it.

Reply 4 of 7, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried in in Windows 10 64-bit 19H2 and it works, except three problems:

- Videos wont show up. It must be a layer thing since you can see the shapes where the videos are supposed to be played.
- For some reason dgVoodoo2 watermark wont show up too, but the game is hooked (it doesnt ask for 256 colors and its rendered at dgV resolution).
- There's no way to force fullscreen, it just a fixed window in the center of the screen, you can double the resolution (ALT > Display > Zoom) but it wont get filtered and the mouse will corrupt the area of the screen where you are moving.

You dont need to install QT3.0, just move the attached files to game folder and videos should work (audio only). You have to launch the game as Administrator and launch it a few times, since it crashes randomly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h604IGOVjmw

Video crash could be related to Sandboxie.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 7, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I'm coming back to the topic because I managed to run this game correctly on Windows 10 and beware! Working videos (although there is still a problem with the sound). I haven't tested the games thoroughly, so I don't know about its stability
I started the game under the latest version of dgvoodoo 2.63.1, in Win 95 compatibility mode (but Win 98 compatibility mode should also work) and in limited color mode (I gave 256 bit settings there).
Oh, something else. I installed the QuickTime 3.0 codec included with the CD game, if it matters