VOGONS

First post, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to make this game work with Dgvoodoo2 and other wrappers of late, but i don't know what kind of wrapper or which folder is necessary so the game can read the ddraw.dll file, since gog did their own while "releasing" this game in their platform.

GoG didn't addressed the problems that this game has with bigger screens, which makes the game kinda horrible to play on widescreen windows, also the windowed option that they packed with the game is stuck in 640x480, and it suffers from speed problems like fast text dialogue.

Reply 4 of 6, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

The GOG version is still a WinG32 (GDI) game not DDraw.

The GoG version lacks the internal WinG folder that contains the Wing32.DLL

Sadly even using something like Heroes WING32.DLL OpenGL wrapper to act as a replacement the game still doesn't load it the wrapper DLL files.
I will continue looking at some other GoG and Steam stuff, this game is so good, but it feels so rushed to release.

Also: renaming DDRAW.DLL to WING32.DLL Makes the game recognize it, but it crashes at the beginning asking for the WING32.DLL Instructions like WinGGetDIBColorTable

Reply 5 of 6, by OllyOrc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the PlayStation version a lot better than pc, so I run it via a PSX emulator. However, you have to use a joypad as no mouse /keyboard but you get used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rm3AhDE3Fs&f … e=related&gl=GB

However, that kind of defeats the problem, so would be great to one day improve it running on windows.

Reply 6 of 6, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've decided to look at it today using DxWnd and here is what i found

-It recognizes wing32.dll right where the EXE File is
-The Game doesn't Upscale, Unlike HOMM 1&2 windows edition which has working WinG32.dll Wrappers that converts the game to OpenGL, whatever GoG did it was shoddy, but also that WinG32.dll is tied to HOMM config.ini.
-The game tries to upscale in DxWnd but it crashes, mostly because of the program.