VOGONS

First post, by rjhansen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to use dgVoodoo2 to run Crimson Skies on my computer. Major details seem to work great; there's no problem with in-play graphics. It uses D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll, and DDraw.dll. I don't remember if it was DX7 or DX8, so I threw the D3D8 in there.

There is a text problem, unfortunately. At several different places, a series of RGB bars appear instead of text. They appear on the copyright page at launch, instead of a text profile name in the profile manager, and when you choose resolution in video, it displays the bars instead of the resolution text (e.g.: 1024x768). They also appear in custom loadouts, IIRC. I've been running CSFIX to set up a player profile, and then picking my profile blind when I use dgVoodoo.

I'm using dgVoodoo 2.63. I've gone through several updates hoping the text problem would be fixed, but after a year, I figure it might be a good time to ask.

Is there some setting that will cause the text to display properly? Is it a bug? Is this something that probably has an easy fix?

Thanks for your time, and the great Glide wrapper.

The picture is of the copyright page. The first is using CSFIX, which runs in native 32-bit color and messes up the picture, but the text is clear. The second is dgVoodoo 2.63.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If my memory servers right, I got corrupted text textures natively on win7 too, when I last time checked it out. I thought I had to have a broken version of the game or something.
So, I don't know, should this game work out of the box or CSFIX is needed in any case?
What about CSFIX + dgVoodoo together (if that's a viable way)?

Reply 2 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried csfix and it always loads ddraw.dll from the system folder so it's not usable together with dgVoodoo.
But I patched it so now it is.

Also, I changed Use32BitColour to 0 to avoid corrupting intro screen/menu (dgvoodoo always renders at 32 bit anyway) and OverrideRes to 0 to upscale the resolution from dgVoodoo.
I set a little dithering through dgVoodoo and everything looked like it should have.

Attachments

• Filename
    csfix_patch.zip
    File size
    37.77 KiB
    Downloads
    320 downloads
    File comment
    csfix patch to avoid system folder for ddraw
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 11, by rjhansen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This works PERFECTLY! Thank you, Dege. And so quick. I should have asked a year ago.

Can we put this up somewhere that it can be found, other than on the Vogons boards?

The download site for CSFIX is here: http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/

You might want to tell him about the collaboration and offer a package with both dgVoodoo and CSFIX.

Or, we could just keep this our little secret on Vogons.

Thanks again!

Reply 4 of 11, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow ! Thanks a lot Dege !

I had this problem too, as there was no way to fix both the game and the palette problem on the menu.

Now both were fixed in an instant ! 😁

Reply 5 of 11, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a reocurring crash in Mission 8. I can't get past it. It's a little while after the start of the mission.

My dgVoodoo (v2..63.1) config :
(attached)
csfix config :

[Main]

;Set to 1 to use a 32 bit render target, to solve issues with broken dithering
;Corrupts the intro screen, and causes a couple of artifacts on menus
Use32BitColour=0

;Set to 1 to force a specific screen resolution
;Menu's don't look as good, but it removes screen transitions and lets you use non 4:3 resolutions
;Causes flickering on some menus
;If set to 1, but without a width/height specified, uses your native resolution
OverrideRes=0
ScreenWidth=0
ScreenHeight=0

;Disable usage of the high performance counter
;Fixes the crash on startup on some newer cpu's, can also be fixed by running in win95 compatibility mode
DisablePerfCounter=1

;Force NONPOW2CONDITIONAL texture caps
;Fixes blocky text on menus, and in game crashes when text is displayed
ForceNP2=1

;Set to 1 to enable the fix for black boxes when using ati cards with drivers >7.5
;Shouldn't cause side effects if on when not required, beyond a small frame rate hit
AtiFix=0

;Set to 1 to avoid wrapping the ddraw object.
;Turn this on if you want to use the software renderer
;Disables 32bit mode and forcenp2, but not the other fixes
DontWrap=0

I wonder if anyone else experiences it too ?

My config :
Windows 10 2004 (Insider Preview, Slow channel)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
Intel core I7 4700HQ

Also happens on Windows 7.

Savegames :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18OuCMJ3Lptit … iew?usp=sharing

Use profile "Zachary".

Also attached is the report from the spec release of dgVoodoo2 v2.63.1

Thank you in advance for any insight on this ! 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    SpecReleaseLog.LOG
    File size
    2.68 MiB
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    15.18 KiB
    Downloads
    87 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 11, by Diego0920

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-07-11, 18:58:

I'll be very interested in your findings.

Just finished the 11th mission after 10+ tries on hardest. No crashes so far apart from one rare instance when I finished one of the missions.
I'm using the portable release by IGG-Games which is already patched. It's pretty good and you could probably try it all over or paste the savegame.
9ZNLwvw.jpg
(1400x1050, 8xMSAA, 16xAF, Reshade, FPS limit 60 with MSI Afterburner)

Reply 10 of 11, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, very interesting !
I'll try to use the french localization on top of it if possible. That includes the UI, all the texts, voices, and cutscenes.

Maybe a bad resource or something. The executable was from an english version with the DRM removed, so it's not that.

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2020-07-12, 08:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by Diego0920

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before you play, don't make the same mistake as me and download the Widescreen/FOV mod from PCGW first:
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … -skies-fov-fix/
(Download v2_Crimson_Skies_dgV.7z and replace the game exe with the one in the 1920x1080 folder -password is pcgw- then force 1080p through dgvodoo2)
KLkBCHn.jpg
I want to die, I almost completed the game in 4:3.