VOGONS

First post, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Upon trying to access the site, I get a message from BT Web Protect about the site trying to steal information or contain viruses. I assume this is a false positive?

If so, why is the site always flagged as dangerous?

Reply 1 of 8, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a false positive.

DgVoodoo uses a packed executable for dgVoodooCpl.exe. Which is hosted on dege's website. That's why it's blocked.

Because one of the quick'n'dirty AV practices is to equal packed executable to viruses. It's stupid.

Reply 2 of 8, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fun fact: BT used to flag OneDrive and a bunch of other legit sites as suspicious too. Some would fail to load but not give explicit warning messages, but I discovered what was causing the issue in the end. I disabled their web protection stuff because of that.

Reply 4 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silanda wrote on 2020-05-02, 09:12:

Fun fact: BT used to flag OneDrive and a bunch of other legit sites as suspicious too. Some would fail to load but not give explicit warning messages, but I discovered what was causing the issue in the end. I disabled their web protection stuff because of that.

This kind of crap happens all the time. Once or twice users on a forum complained to me that Malwarebytes flags my picture host (Cubeupload) as malicious. Apaprently, someone stored malicious files disguised as photos there, and someone reported it. Or something.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Opaque79 wrote on 2020-05-02, 14:14:

It seems like AVs don't understand that it's safe. Why is it flagged all the time?

Antivirus doesn't really detect when things are unsafe, but only when things are safe by reputation.

Reply 7 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-02, 14:45:
Opaque79 wrote on 2020-05-02, 14:14:

It seems like AVs don't understand that it's safe. Why is it flagged all the time?

Antivirus doesn't really detect when things are unsafe, but only when things are safe by reputation.

And the criteria for said reputation are sometimes flaky .