VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal 227i "DDRAW" renderer wrapped to D3D12.
It's working great (+50 FPS than D3D11 @1920x1080) but is it expected that I got the same D3D11 brightness result only forcing "Inherit Color Profile" ?

Reply 21 of 24, by Dege

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sw rendered Unreal? 😁 I saw it ages ago.

Gamma correction: as it turned out, D3D12 swapchains don't support native gamma calibration (unlike D3D11 swapchains), so dgVoodoo can only apply it as a frame-postprocess effect, like in windowed mode.
However I didn't want to force it in D3D12 because it caused measurable frame drop with some games in the 1000-2000 fps domain and it would have been a pity to always waste extra resources even for cases when the gamma curve is almost the same as the default (identic) one.
So, yes, currently "inherit color profile" is the only way to have it working.

Reply 22 of 24, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SW renderer of Unreal can be done *without* DDRAW.

No, I mean D3D6/7 "DDRAW" of course.
Thanks for the answer! (It was my guess too)

And about Chaos Theory? Why your patch fixes the black screen too?

Reply 24 of 24, by Dege

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote on 2020-07-01, 19:00:

And about Chaos Theory? Why your patch fixes the black screen too?

TBH, I don't have a clue... 😁 I forgot about the fact that I silently used my patch when testing this game.
I gave it another go with the unpatched exe and it just crashed for me, as expected.

As for the timeframe: both with D3D11 and 12 it's quite smooth for me. Not perfectly, like a dead's ECG and D3D11 seems to be a little bit more noisy in the menu.
But I don't really understand what frametime measures exactly: if it's vsynced to 60fps then frametime why isn't just constant 16.6ms? And how can it intermittently spike over, into 17.x ms?

lowenz wrote on 2020-07-01, 20:17:

Yes, I read it.