VOGONS

First post, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cannot run these two games in any way under Windows 10. Both games crash when starting a race. Patches for XP and newer graphics cards were released for Castrol, but they do not help. With the patch for XP, the game still crashes when starting the race, and with the patch for GeForce cards, the game does not start at all, showing only a black screen for a split second. For Final Racing I also found a patch for XP which also doesn't help. I know there are people who run both games under Win10 without any patches by default, but for me it doesn't work like that. Anyone advise something on this topic? Here is my hardware configuration:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 460.97 driver
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - BIOS F31q
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio - 6.0.9079.1 driver

Reply 1 of 3, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I was able to run Castrol after installing the patch for XP and GeForce cards, and after changing the letter in the F1.cfg file to the one under which I have installed the game disc image. But with Final Racing, I still haven't been able to do anything. A game with the XP patch crashes when loading a race, with the official patch it displays a black screen, and without patches it crashes also when loading a race with the fact that it shows the HUD before but without the loaded board (HUD is on a black screen). Anyone with a GeForce RTX could check Final Racing on this card? I bet the game is incompatible with this card

Reply 3 of 3, by mattcedler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to run Final Racing via DgVoodoo2.72 (and without it) under D3D11 and D3D12 APIs in higer resolutions and 8xMSAA (but if I see correctly shadows doesn't work) without any aditional config files (the game needs D3drm.dll btw) and patches, only used setup fix to install it and then I copied ISO contents to C:\Racing.
Only the main menu is a bit clunky, but gameplay is smooth and fast.

Edit:
Framerate must be limited to 30-35FPS or compatibility set to Win95 otherwise opponents are too fast and there are camera/steering problems.

Got few warnigs and erros:

WARNING: DirectDrawSurface (08CF3E30)::QueryInterface: Creating required interface has failed. If it's not a texture interface, it still can be a D3DDevice ClassID.	
ERROR: DirectDrawSurface (08CF3E30)::QueryInterface: Creating aggregated D3DDevice object has failed on DirectDrawSurface.
ERROR: DirectDrawSurface (08CF3E30)::QueryInterface: Unknown interface (riid = {{b0ab3b60-33d7-11d1-a981-00c04fd7b174}}) is being queried.
WARNING: DirectDrawSurface (08D87E38)::GetAttachedSurface: Failed, HRESULT: DDERR_NOTFOUND

Attachments

• Filename
    Final Racing.LOG
    File size
    379.9 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File comment
    FULL LOG
    File license
    Public domain
  • Final Racing.png