VOGONS

First post, by Liandri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm seeking help with an issue - shadows flickering on ground and around the character model under certain camera angles. Seems like a game issue, has nothing to do with dgVoodoo. (It happens with and without dgVoodoo)
Basically, here is the story:
- This is an Unreal Engine 3 title (2008, d3d9).
- Nvidia applies certain compatibility mode for it that fixes shadow flickering on their hardware.
- Possibly even game developers are not aware of this and thus it got zero attention.
- Seems like many UE3 titles have certain shadowing issues on AMD hardware. But it's really bad on this specific title.
- I've tried experimenting with pretty much all .ini settings that could be related to shadows and couldn't fix it.

Here is how it looks: https://gfycat.com/violetgraciousamazonparrot
Here is another part of the issue demonstrated in another UE3 game (UT3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDDquMvljPI

I own both AMD and Nvidia cards and I can confirm that it doesn't happen on GeForce. I've tried to disable its driver compatibility features by force to ensure that it would display the same defects, but couldn't do it (the game just crashes).

Sorry for asking help with something not related to dgVoodoo. But since it most likely affects several UE3 titles, I thought it would be great if someone finds some kind of permanent fix.

Reply 1 of 1, by Liandri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to run the game on Nvidia card using dgVoodoo and without driver compatibility layer. Or at least I believe it was disabled or broken - I made sure to wipe the contents of Drs folder, renamed game executable, wiped its timestamp and made sure the window title never gets set to "The Last Remnant". There was still no rendering issue when it run like that.
This could mean either Nvidia driver does not apply compatibility layer for this game, or it applies it by default for all games somehow, or it's really an issue in AMD's driver when rendering both D3D9 and Vulkan.