VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the game Terracide by Eidos Interactive, released in 1997. It was one of the earliest DirectX (DX 3.1) game and making it run on an OS like Windows 10 was a pain. I was successful in making the game run, in MMX mode, software mode and 3D mode. However the intro videos were black and I could only hear them. How can I make the intro videos work with the game? Is there some codec I should configure to work with dgVoodoo? DDrawCompat could make the videos run but the game would crash.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was one of the earliest DirectX (DX 3.1) game and making it run on an OS like Windows 10 was a pain.

How to do it exactly? I installed the game from the original CD but cannot run it. It just crashes in non-Win98 compat mode and gets stuck in Win98 compat mode.
Is there a patch or sg?

Btw, you can try GeneralExt\EnableGDIHooking for the videos but it's not guaranteed it'll work. Windows' own appcompat layer can interfere with dgVoodoo ending up in black screen (like with Blair Witch Vol 3).

Reply 2 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2021-02-02, 19:19:
How to do it exactly? I installed the game from the original CD but cannot run it. It just crashes in non-Win98 compat mode and […]
Show full quote

It was one of the earliest DirectX (DX 3.1) game and making it run on an OS like Windows 10 was a pain.

How to do it exactly? I installed the game from the original CD but cannot run it. It just crashes in non-Win98 compat mode and gets stuck in Win98 compat mode.
Is there a patch or sg?

Btw, you can try GeneralExt\EnableGDIHooking for the videos but it's not guaranteed it'll work. Windows' own appcompat layer can interfere with dgVoodoo ending up in black screen (like with Blair Witch Vol 3).

Creator of DxWnd(gho) patched 2 of the files of the original game available here. After you replace these files in the game directory, put the 'd3dimm.dll' and 'ddraw.dll' from dgvoodoo2 to the game directory, but not 'd3d8.dll' or 'd3d9.dll' as DxWnd seems to give priority to the newer version of D3D and ultimately it crashes. Then you need to importthis DxWnd profile, set the location of the game in the DxWnd configurator and launch the game from DxWnd.

For CD Audio pausing, DxWnd will also fix the issue and there is documentation available with the application.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058