VOGONS

First post, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dgvoodoo 2.72, Win7x64, and the game is an 1997 title (prolly before DX7).

If fullscreen, the game seems a stuttery, kinda like having uneven 25FPS.
Tried "Fast video memory access", can see only menu boxes, all else is black.

If windowed, the game is smooth, but I simply can't make the mouse stay inside the game's window.
I tried with "Mouse capture", "free mouse", "center app", all the hidden fake fullscreen settings (which is smooth btw).

I can confirm that dxwnd can properly lock the mouse in windowed mode, and it's smooth, so I'm trying to figure what's wrong with dgVoodoo's mouse capture.

Reply 2 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any trick to get this game to run on Win10?
I ran the setup in Win95 compatibility mode to avoid 'maptile.mfb' error message, but even doing this, the game gets stuck after the initial loading screen (and before the main menu I think).

Btw, dgVoodoo doesn't capture mouse in windowed mode.

Reply 3 of 6, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-02-09, 17:52:

Is there any trick to get this game to run on Win10?
I ran the setup in Win95 compatibility mode to avoid 'maptile.mfb' error message, but even doing this, the game gets stuck after the initial loading screen (and before the main menu I think).

DXWND can play it if you install it in W95 mode. You can remove W95 from game's exe.

beasts_bumpkins_dxwnd.png
Filename
beasts_bumpkins_dxwnd.png
File size
192.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Dege wrote on 2021-02-09, 17:52:

Btw, dgVoodoo doesn't capture mouse in windowed mode.

Well, as I said, fullscreen - stutters/iffy FPS, and dgVoodoo's fake fullscreen works superb, except it doesn't, the mouse can "fall" thru the right and bottom of the fake stretched fullscreen unfortunately.

Any chance of making mouse capture work in fake fullscreen (aka capture in window) in future dgVoodoo versions?

Reply 4 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, fake fullscreen can be achieved with windowed mode + setting the proper windowed attributes, but it's not a convenient way and it lacks the mouse emulation of fullscreen.
That's why I was planning a separate 'fake fullscreen' working mode, but I postponed it because D3D12 is always fake fullscreen in the background.

But I'll reconsider it.

Reply 5 of 6, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-02-17, 12:18:

it lacks the mouse emulation of fullscreen.

I think dxwnd simply (and there is also software designed for this like if you have dual screen setup) limits the cursor to a specific screen/window, nothing else, like invisible margins, no emulations or similar.

Dege wrote on 2021-02-17, 12:18:

But I'll reconsider it.

Thanks!