VOGONS

First post, by scifo76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
First time posting here - sorry if I post this in the wrong sub-forum.

I installed dgVoodoo to solve issues of crashing when playing Everquest Project 1999 and it has really worked super good - not a single crash since I installed the 4 .dll files. Thank you!

But, small graphical bugs have been introduces in various zones of the games. Some objects are entirely black, and they brighten up a bit when I walk up to the them, as if there would be an issue with the lighting effect.

I attached two screenshots to show how it looks like.

When removing the 4 .dll files, the graphical bugs are gone, but I really would like to solve this so I can have dgVoodoo installed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

/Bob

Attachments

• dgvoodoo bug2.png
    Filename
    dgvoodoo bug2.png
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    screenshot of graphic bug
    File license
    Public domain
  • dgvoodoo bug1.png
    Filename
    dgvoodoo bug1.png
    File size
    484.24 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    screenshot of graphic bug
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by scifo76 on 2022-03-29, 14:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by scifo76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and thanks for replying!

I cannot say if you will be able to produce it, but the only dgVoodoo files I have copied into my EQ1999 folder are:
D3D8.dll
D3D9.dll
D3DImm.dll
DDraw.dll

For example, one of the screenshots is from the East Cabilis zoneline to Field of Bone, where behind the two Trooper guards, are some very dark looking stones. When u get closer to those rocks, you can see there's a bit of dark blue tint in them, as if there would be something wrong with the way the light/reflections are being produced by the game (when having these .dll files in the EQ1999 folder)

If I install the dgVoodoo2.exe file, will I perhaps be able to do some changes in the graphic settings to see if I can solve this?

Should I try to mess around with my nVidia control panel if that might help?

Thanks again.

Reply 3 of 18, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried various places but didn't see such glitches. I cannot start at East Cabilis, the game says it's unavaliable (try it later or sg like that).
Just to make sure, do you get these glitches with D3D12 output too?

Reply 10 of 18, by scifo76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gonna add here that I am NOT able to get the 3Dfx Watermark nor the 3Dfx Splash screen showing, so I guess that confirms Glide isn't activated?
I've downloaded the 3dfxspl2.dll and 3dfxspl3.dll and put them in the root folder of the game. As well as the three Glide dlls from the 3Dfx\x86 folder.
And I've of course checked the 3Dfx Watermark and 3Dfx Splash screen boxes in the control panel. I also downloaded the latest version (2.77) to make sure I'm updated.

Reply 11 of 18, by scifo76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here another example in East Commonlands, near the West Freeport border.

Attachments

Reply 12 of 18, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I'll have a look at a tutorial and try to install the game because I have a feeling that the one I have is not exactly the same that we're talking about.
Btw, it's a DX game so you cannot have the 3Dfx watermark here.

Reply 14 of 18, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I followed this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_MMVgJ_Dk

and installed the game. I chose this server:

p1999server.png

I created 8 different characters and explored many landscapes but didn't encounter black objects. Everything look fine, like this:

project1999.png

So, either the bug only comes at your specific locations or I can't reproduce it.

Reply 15 of 18, by scifo76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've made progress!
There's something in my eqclient.ini file (it's the configuration file for the game) that is making those black textures.
I downloaded a clean install of EverQuest and I replaced my old eqclient file with the one I downloaded, and I have NO issues.
Now, of course there are tons of settings in my own eqclient file that I want to keep, so I will go through every single line in that text file and see exactly what causes it. It might help other players in the future who might encounter the same problem, so we can keep this thread alive for a while.

Until then, thanks again for the swift replies, Dege!

Reply 16 of 18, by scifo76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found it!
In the very beginning of my eqclient config file, in the [Defaults] section, I had an entry like this:

HardwareTnL=FALSE

Removing this, the game looks great - NO issues.

For researching/geek purpose, can you try to reproduce it by adding that line in your eqclient config file, in the [Defaults] section? Would be interesting to see if you can reproduce it.
And, as a curious person I am, do you have any idea what that entry does to the game and how/why it collides with the dgVoodoo .dll files?

All the best!

Edit: Apparently, this command tells the game to not use the Hardware Transform and Lighting features of the video card. This entry is NOT included in the original eqclient.ini file of Project 1999, so it must have been added later, probably by myself when trying to solve some screen tearing issues 3 years ago.

Reply 17 of 18, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, that' s a nice find! Now I could reproduce and fix it.

Yes, disabled Hardware TnL (sw vertex processing) forces vertex shaders / FF pipeline to be executed on the CPU. As a "side effect", it also controls how (in what way) vertex (buffer) data is got copied to the video memory.
dgVoodoo never executes shaders on the CPU when they're invoked implicitly from the Draw calls but keeps compatibility by using sw vertex buffers (that's where I found a bug), so I don't recommend HardwareTnL=FALSE anyway.