VOGONS

First post, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use dosbox ece 4466 + dgvoodoo 2 2.78.1 and I have problem when I move the cursor

When I move the cursor, framerate increase and sound stutter or slow down. The problem arrived only when I start the move of the cursor.

When I move the cursor, cursor flashes.

In the win95 version of lands of lore 2 + dgvoodoo 2, cursor don't flash.

Reply 2 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FulValBot wrote on 2022-04-18, 09:46:

That problem is caused by DOSBox ECE (it's a problem of SDL)

The problem of cursor flashing exist with nglide but the problem of framerate and sound with cursor moving doesn't exist with nglide.

Reply 4 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FulValBot wrote on 2022-04-18, 21:26:

Try 2.78.2 version and latest version of DOSBox ECE

Last version of dosbox ece doesn't allow to use glide wrapper as dgvoodoo or nglide.

The changelog of 2.78.2 doesn't modify anything about glide related things.

Reply 5 of 28, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any trick when running this game in DosBox?
My installation (old one) crashes right at startup. It's maybe because it's not configured but when I set up the sound configuration with the game config tool then it says that cannot write the config file.

Reply 6 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-05-01, 16:51:

Is there any trick when running this game in DosBox?
My installation (old one) crashes right at startup. It's maybe because it's not configured but when I set up the sound configuration with the game config tool then it says that cannot write the config file.

I use no trick to run this game in dosbox.
I use dosboxece + dgovoodoo2 files.

Reply 8 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-03, 06:25:

If you look into it, remember this:
Re: Glide bug in Lands of Lore 2
Though since the game is broken in both dgVoodoo and nGlide it might just be something with how DOSBox Glide passthrough patches work.

I don't have teleportation effect.

Reply 11 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-03, 09:47:

Are you saying the effect doesn't display, doesn't take ages, or that it works properly? Have you tried the savegame linked? Could be different kinds of teleporters in the game.

It works properly except the problem sthat I ihave indicated in the first message.

Reply 12 of 28, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2022-05-03, 17:49:

Are you saying the effect doesn't display, doesn't take ages, or that it works properly? Have you tried the savegame linked? Could be different kinds of teleporters in the game.

It works properly except the problem sthat I ihave indicated in the first message.

How?

I'm using DOSBox ECE 4466 + dgVoodoo 2.78.2 and teleporters are broken. I can't see any way to get them working, so again are you sure you tested with the linked save? And going through the teleporter worked smoothly? If so, can you describe your entire install and configuration process?

With major issues like that, doesn't seem to be much point in fixing the cursor flickering.

Reply 13 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-26, 12:22:
How? I'm using DOSBox ECE 4466 + dgVoodoo 2.78.2 and teleporters are broken. I can't see any way to get them working, so again […]
Show full quote

How?

I'm using DOSBox ECE 4466 + dgVoodoo 2.78.2 and teleporters are broken. I can't see any way to get them working, so again are you sure you tested with the linked save? And going through the teleporter worked smoothly? If so, can you describe your entire install and configuration process?

With major issues like that, doesn't seem to be much point in fixing the cursor flickering.

If you select voodoo graphics and 1024kb in memory size in dgvoodoo 2 options, there is no teleporter bug. The teleporter bug arrive with 2048kb memory (same problem with 4096 kb). I don't know why but maybe, dege can explain why.
With nglide, there is this bug but I don't know how modify memory size in nglide.

Solve the cursor flickering is important.

Reply 14 of 28, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's great that that's a simple fix. I did some testing because I thought I had the cursor working nicely with dgVoodoo earlier, but I can't reproduce it. Guess the setup I got it working OK with was nGlide, which doesn't have as much problems with the cursor as dgVoodoo (though it just crashes with teleporters), so I doubt it's entirely a SDL issue as mentioned earlier.

I really want to play this game in 32-bit color. High resolution would be nice too, but I can't handle the dithering most Glide emulation setups give for this. The Windows version is crap because of aspect ratio issues and rendering bugs.

So yeah, hopefully Dege finds something out.

Reply 15 of 28, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally I could check this out (altough I used my old DosBox Ykhwong build). The cursor flashing occurs because the game kinda 'emulates' the hardware cursor and draws it directly into the front (visible) buffer.
Even with built-in Glide emulation I get some flashing.

For the framerate problem, an option 'Batched update for front buffer' like the one for DX could help but it wouldn't solve the flickering.
The flickering is non-deterministic anyway, it is minimal for me with the D3D11 backend and strongly comes with D3D12 (because of the underlying frame presentation model).

Reply 16 of 28, by Crimson_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-05-28, 13:52:
Finally I could check this out (altough I used my old DosBox Ykhwong build). The cursor flashing occurs because the game kinda ' […]
Show full quote

Finally I could check this out (altough I used my old DosBox Ykhwong build). The cursor flashing occurs because the game kinda 'emulates' the hardware cursor and draws it directly into the front (visible) buffer.

For the framerate problem, an option 'Batched update for front buffer' like the one for DX could help but it wouldn't solve the flickering.
The flickering is non-deterministic anyway, it is minimal for me with the D3D11 backend and strongly comes with D3D12 (because of the underlying frame presentation model).

Thanks for taking another go at this issue! Trying the D3D 11 backend certainly does make a significant improvement to the mouse flickering over D3D 12. Much more playable.

On a side note, the way the cursor flickering gets worse for me as it gets higher in postion on the screen reminds me of Might and Magic Xeen, where you have to dial in the CPU cycles to avoid flickering or the cursor completely disappearing once it hits the top of the screen.

If you select voodoo graphics and 1024kb in memory size in dgvoodoo 2 options, there is no teleporter bug. The teleporter bug arrive with 2048kb memory (same problem with 4096 kb).

The 1024kb memory size setting certainly fixes the teleporter effect for me. Nice find!

EDIT: For my own system, using the GOG included DOSBox build with glide enabled still gives better performance (no video stuttering) than ECE does.

EDIT:Also, for some reason the mouse flickering gets much worse if I do NOT do any resolution upscaling with dgVoodoo, even with the D3D 11 backend. Weird.

Reply 17 of 28, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-05-28, 13:52:
Finally I could check this out (altough I used my old DosBox Ykhwong build). The cursor flashing occurs because the game kinda ' […]
Show full quote

With d3d11, I have flickering in fullscreen but not in windowed mode. With d3d12, I have flickering , in windowed and fullscreen mode