VOGONS

First post, by Tom..

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a problem with the graphics displayed in the game "slam tilt", i only use DDraw.dll , the problem occurs in all versions of dgVoodoo2 ..

Settings that I care about the most , graphics problems , some smudges on the screen

1-1.png

1.png

No texture filtering , graphics problems are barely visible..

2-2.png

2.png

Settings that do not cause graphics problems , low resolution (800x600) , no scaling , no texture filtering..

3-1.png

3.png

Reply 1 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Resolution / Bilinear blit stretch and texture filtering options should not be used for 2D games at all. If you're unhappy with the scaling of 2D content, set "Scaling mode" to "Stretched, keep aspect ratio" in the "General" tab, right click the tabs and enable "Show all sections of the configuration" and go to the "GeneralExt" tab. Here you can choose the resampling algorithm under "Resampling", eventually set a "Integer scale factor pass" to do first.

Reply 2 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also why on earth would you change the resolution to 1280x1024, when judging by the screenshot, that's not the native resolution of your monitor nor is it a clean scale factor for 800x600 (and even a different aspect ratio)?

When forcing resolution (which again, you should only do for 3D games) you should stick to multiples of the resolution the game is set to run at. That's why there are 1x-4x options at the top. This reduces graphic artifacts. It's best to rely on dgVoodoo for scaling when doing this (set "Scaling mode" to "Stretched, keep aspect ratio"), dgVoodoo can both downscale and upscale resolutions to match your display (going higher than the display resolution usually results in less aliased picture).

Reply 3 of 9, by Tom..

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answer
I understand what mistake I made, I didn't know there are hidden options in dgVoodoo.
What should I set to make the "Slam TILT" image less grainy / pixelated like in the top screenshot ? Since "Bilinear blit stretch" cannot be used?

Reply 4 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tom.. wrote on 2022-06-15, 05:03:

Thanks for the answer
I understand what mistake I made, I didn't know there are hidden options in dgVoodoo.
What should I set to make the "Slam TILT" image less grainy / pixelated like in the top screenshot ? Since "Bilinear blit stretch" cannot be used?

The only resampling algorithm that should be pixelated is "Point sampled", so choose any other option, I believe they're listed in order of sharpness (blurriest first). Integer scale factor needs to be set to 1 (higher values for this option is if you want a pixelated look).

I'm really confused though, the default option (just "Stretched, 4:3 aspect ratio" enabled, nothing set in Resolution or Bilinear blit stretch) would have just used bilinear resampling, which sounds like what you want?

Reply 6 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... I see what's going on here: you're in the zoomed in view, and zoomed in the game just pixel doubles, so scaling isn't done the way you want (it is however, done the way the developers intended).

Here's what you can do:
Set dgVoodoo resolution to half the game's resolution (320x240 for 640x480, 400x300 for 800x600)
dgVoodoo will just remove the duplicate pixels and you now have an image suitable for scaling, since it isn't already scaled (pixel doubling is a form of scaling).

Now set Stretched, keep aspect ratio and sampling mode to bilinear and you should have the result you want for the zoomed in view, without any display glitches. You will however have half resolution in menus and zoomed out view.

Reply 7 of 9, by Tom..

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did as you wrote

a.png

good texture filtering with no artifacts

b.png

But the fun didn't last long . The game often switches to high definition mode when multiball is turned on , or you will enter this mode by pressing the f12 key..

c.png

This is what this mode should look like correctly 😀

d.png

Reply 8 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah that's what I wrote, high definition mode will look worse if you do that.

The game is, unfortunately for you, designed to look pixelated when zoomed in, so unless Dege wants to make a hack specifically for this game there are tradeoffs.