VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to run Grand Prix 3 on my GTX 1050Ti GPU. This game has a lot of issues with dgVoodoo2. It has wrong background color (green color) in the 3rd or 4th and so on calibration steps and crashes during that process. It also paints the wheel pink in a certain lining which should be white. This is a long known problematic game. Can this be fixed?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having tested in an old Intel HD Graphics, most problems are nonexistent. So this probably is a driver bug or some unsupported feature

Reply 2 of 10, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game is broken with 2.79. Older versions should work with fast video memory access enabled for the best performance. The only problem I know of is the pink strip.
Anyway, I fixed the non-rendered elements.

Reply 3 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2022-08-07, 17:34:

This game is broken with 2.79. Older versions should work with fast video memory access enabled for the best performance. The only problem I know of is the pink strip.
Anyway, I fixed the non-rendered elements.

I am using v2.77 with Fast Vid Memory Access on. The missing textures are rendered now. The pink tires still exist. In the 4th or 5th run, the game crashes in calibration.

Reply 4 of 10, by magros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately with this game I can't find a real solution.
With the latest releases of dgvoodoo 2, hardware rendering is not usable. The "world" is all green and only cars are rendered. But the cockpit is still clipped (the nose and part of the front wheels are missing).
On the other hand, always with the 2.79, the software rendering is correct and clear.
With older versions of dgvoodoo, the hardware rendering finally works but the images look a lot less defined and clean, it is as if the resolution is lower (the game says it's always @ 1280x1024, but visually it seems not).
If I could solve this last problem, my solution would be to use version 2.76, with that the HW rendering works.
But with 2.79 and 3D software rendering the images are cleaner and more defined.
Main difference is on text elements, the LCD panel on the wheel and text on UI buttons, with 2.76 (and 2.72) looks grainy.
Dege, do you have any suggestions to test to try to improve the blurry visual quality I get with the old 2.72 / 2.76?

Reply 6 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2022-08-08, 18:21:

I have no idea why the old versions produces blurrier images... So, for now, I can't give any advice. Hopefully all will be fixed in the next version (except the pink strip I think).

Can you give an idea on what's the problem with the pink strip?

Reply 7 of 10, by magros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-08-08, 19:45:

You can fix the issue downloading a modified TechJam folder here: https://tedmeat.com/uploads/blog_images/GP3_TechJam.zip

Reply 8 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
magros wrote on 2022-08-09, 14:32:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-08-08, 19:45:

You can fix the issue downloading a modified TechJam folder here: https://tedmeat.com/uploads/blog_images/GP3_TechJam.zip

Ok this seems like the classic "replace texture with better color" way. The difference is noticeable.

Reply 9 of 10, by magros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for reference, take a look to this screenshots...
GP3 without dgVoodoo2:
Immagine.jpg
It's a mess but fonts on LCD panel looks as they should.

GP3 with dgVoodoo2:
Cattura2.jpg
Rendering is way better but LCD fonts are blurred/lores.
I'm using an old release of dgVoodoo, with the last one the rendering is a green mess, unusable.