VOGONS

First post, by Ringtail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I would like to report an issue with Lego Rock Raiders in dgVoodoo 2.79.1 (DirectX). While the game has had some major issues in older version, it appears to run almost perfectly now. The only glaring issue it has is that transparent textures often appear far too bright. This is most notable in lava smoke, building steam, and dust.

The images below give some examples of this issue. The screenshots on the left show the game as its intended to look in Direct3D HAL mode, while the right ones show it running in the same levels with dgVoodoo, using its DirectX settings and Direct3D HAL device.

go3PUOb.png
Example of lava smoke. The smoke is made of a pillar of particles that are supposed to fade out near the top, however they disappear abruptly .
xsIMhYp.png
Example of building steam being too bright. Especially noticeable with the tool store (the building on the left with the barrier).
cMaPrRU.png
Example of misc particles. The Z's fade should fade out but disappear abruptly. The dust from the monster's breath is also too bright. (The redness of the right screenshot is from level fog, which is enabled automatically with dgVoodoo but must be manually activated normally.)
RPLEDq2.png
The world lighting is softer with dgVoodoo, but glowing objects are brighter.

Additionally, here is a short video showing the levels in the first two screenshot without and with dgVoodoo. Aside from the smoke and steam brightness, I noticed that some of the blinking lights on the buildings, particularly on the crane on the left side, do not appear to function properly in dgVoodoo, despite having it locked to 60 fps.
(while the game does run without dgVoodoo for me and visually looks better, it has severe framerate issues, especially on menus)

yPVsFXc.png
The settings used here; aside from the transparency issues, they seem to work fine.

qHb2ObI.png
Edit: If the game is launched with the -ftm parameter, it actually fixes the transparent texture issue (but also looks bad). The parameter apparently "makes the video card use all available texture memory", but also disables complex lighting. I'm not sure which one is related to the texture issue.
If I turn the VRAM in dgVoodoo down to 16 MB, it actually has the exact same effect. 32 and above however, and the transparency issue returns.

Sorry if this is the wrong location to post this, I wasn't sure if it needed its own topic since it's not a game-breaking issue and considered posting it in the 2.7.x update topic, but I figured it might be too long for there.