VOGONS

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been noticing a trend lately where there's nasty flickering artifacts all over everything when using the Direct3D 12 output with the 3DFX Glide wrapper. Problem is, there are some games that have frequent lag and/or lockups on if I use anything OTHER than Direct3D 12 output. This happens in both 2D and 3D scenes.

Here are some screenshots:

Unreal Tournament:

UT.png
Filename
UT.png
File size
592.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Clive Barker's Undying:

Undying.png
Filename
Undying.png
File size
495.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

From what I can gather, this might have something to do with the recent "Presentation Model" feature that was added, given how the setting description says "Not all model + output API + OS version combinations are supported." I think I did take a minor windows update recently (I'm on Win 11 build 22623 in the beta branch), but I don't know if that was the cause per se. And if that was the cause, chances are Microsoft sure as hell isn't going to fix it.

Last edited by OpenRift on 2022-10-16, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

At any rate, Glide / Direct3D12 works here with the latest dgVoodoo version, so it's something else:

1) Driver / GPU issues: Have you tried WARP rendering?
2) Using a beta OS: don't report bugs based on this. Install a stable Windows version and test. Note that this might contribute to 1), your GPU drivers might just not work well with beta versions of Windows.

Direct3D12 has some limitations anyway, so you should get Direct3D11 working, that it has frequent lock-ups too makes me believe the above two things are likely culprits, rather than any issue with dgVoodoo.

Reply 4 of 7, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-10-16, 18:23:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent […]
Show full quote

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

At any rate, Glide / Direct3D12 works here with the latest dgVoodoo version, so it's something else:

1) Driver / GPU issues: Have you tried WARP rendering?
2) Using a beta OS: don't report bugs based on this. Install a stable Windows version and test. Note that this might contribute to 1), your GPU drivers might just not work well with beta versions of Windows.

Direct3D12 has some limitations anyway, so you should get Direct3D11 working, that it has frequent lock-ups too makes me believe the above two things are likely culprits, rather than any issue with dgVoodoo.

1. Yes, and it performs even worse.
2. I guess? It's just that I've been in the beta program for over a year and it's only now doing this.

Sorry for labelling it as urgent, I was just hoping I could find a solution faster if I got someone's attention. I was just kind of panicking because all of a sudden my Glide-rendered games using D3D 12 start acting up.

Reply 6 of 7, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE 2: This issue STILL hasn't been fixed over the course of several updates to Nvidia's drivers, and I have to keep rolling back to the one build that doesn't cause this issue. It's becoming a problem now because I now have to choose between downloading the new drivers to play certain games that require them and keeping the old drivers on my system.

I'm stuck on the Windows 11 Beta branch and I've tried getting back to the stable builds to see if the issue exists there too, but it's no use because I had to bypass 11's stupid Secure Boot requirement just to get the original upgrade INSTALLED all because my stupid motherboard won't recognize my drives if have Secure Boot enabled, meaning I can't do a proper reinstall without having to wipe all my apps. It's such a stupid situation that I can't get myself out of without fucking myself over. So if someone can PLEASE help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm late to the party, but yes, the symptoms are as if the GPU rasterization skipped (some) of the resource transitioning barriers in the command list.
Anyway, (as it already turned out), these types of rendering glitches are more than probably because of driver bugs. I used to come across with it (D3D11) when upgrading to newer driver version for my old (GF 1060) video card (probably the driver guys accidentally optimized out a necessary barrier somewhere in the code for the sake of better performance). That's why I rarely update my working drivers to the latest one and roll it back at once if I get a performance or rendering glitch not present before.
Btw, I still get similar glitches with the Adreno GPU.

Anyway, the presentation model defaults to 'automatic' which shouldn't change the behavior compared to older versions. And if an unsupported combination is set (like D3D12 + Discard) then dgVoodoo cannot even initialize.
I have no idea what to do with drivers and the OS in a beta program - maybe reserving a separate machine for that and have another for normal daily usage.