VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like say, on texture shaders for example:

1. Apply a 4x4 or 2x2 dither (whichever one that's called by Glide, or always 2x2 for Direct3D if Voodoo1/2 or optional if Banshee+)
2. On blended textures, try to subtract the dither (if glide calls for dithersub, in Direct3D it doesn't if Voodoo1/2 or optional if Banshee+)
3. and then 16bpp clamp

and on the screen buffer, the applied petroleum jelly before the color control happens (which varied between hardware and driver options)

- 4x1 linear four pass 3dfx V1/Banshee+ filter
- 4x1 one pass 3dfx V2 filter
- 2x2 Banshee+ filter (aka "22-bit")

....then the games will have that alleged "3dfx just looks better!!! IDK why!!!!!!!" look.

Just curiously asking because nGlide wasn't interested when I poked about this years ago.

(My ancient shaders are out of date old research that got pulled into shader injecteur packs, don't reference them.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-12-11, 02:48:
Like say, on texture shaders for example: […]
Show full quote

Like say, on texture shaders for example:

1. Apply a 4x4 or 2x2 dither (whichever one that's called by Glide, or always 2x2 for Direct3D if Voodoo1/2 or optional if Banshee+)
2. On blended textures, try to subtract the dither (if glide calls for dithersub, in Direct3D it doesn't if Voodoo1/2 or optional if Banshee+)
3. and then 16bpp clamp

and on the screen buffer, the applied petroleum jelly before the color control happens (which varied between hardware and driver options)

- 4x1 linear four pass 3dfx V1/Banshee+ filter
- 4x1 one pass 3dfx V2 filter
- 2x2 Banshee+ filter (aka "22-bit")

....then the games will have that alleged "3dfx just looks better!!! IDK why!!!!!!!" look.

Just curiously asking because nGlide wasn't interested when I poked about this years ago.

(My ancient shaders are out of date old research that got pulled into shader injecteur packs, don't reference them.)

I have almost all voodoo cards, 1,2, rush, banshre, 3..

And really i did not see any difference between them or a voodoo and a ati, nvidia or intel

only one thing is the 16bit dithering, i really love, and the integrated intel at least until gma 950 i did not test more, do

i dont remember if my rage or tnt do dithering in 16bits

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're not looking hard enough. 3dfx does unique stuff the others don't do.

they ALL do dithering. they stopped doing that since DirectX10 hardware. 3dfx's schtick was to destroy the dithering during the blending and after the frame's pushed out trying to destroy overdraw grain and approximate 24-bit output (at a time when the only cards doing 24-bit out were ViRGE and PowerVR)

apsosig.png
long live PCem