VOGONS

First post, by davedel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed fighting steel, fsp project and dgvoodoo following procedures here and at nws. I believe the game is starting as I hear the title and intro but all I can see is a black screen with the dgvoodoo watermark. When I uncheck the box to re move watermark nothing changes.

This is an older machine running windows 7 pro 64 bit. It has an nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 card.

I tried updating drivers, and some options on dgvoodooCpl. Systemcheck runs and says "launch fighting steel". I think it's running but not visible behind a black screen with watermark. Likewise changing settings on nvidia control did not help.

Is it normal that dgvoodooCPL choices need to be re-done every time? When I open dgvoodooCpl it looks like previous choices are back to default, like remove watermark. Maybe this is a clue.

Thanks for any help!!!

Reply 1 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I remember this game uses the Indeo codecs for the video playback which is not registered in the OS as an available component by default. That could explain the black screen.
I'm not sure if the codec files are shipped with Win7, but you can try to open a command prompt in Admininstrator mode and register it manually if they are:

>C:
>cd \Windows\SysWOW64
>regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

If regsvr32 find the file and registers it as a COM component successfully then the video playback should work.

Also, you probably installed the game under \Program Files which is not a good idea. File writing operations for that folder require admin rights and probably that's why the CPL cannot remember the latest settings, it cannot write the config file (unless you run the CPL in admin mode).
I recommend installing the game to somewhere else, a "neutral" location.

Reply 2 of 3, by davedel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

I tried to make indeo common, got an error code 0x8000ffff. Says it loaded the dll.

Tried downloading a new copy of indeo into the fs folder, but the machine says it already has a newer copy. Fyi in my machine the dll isin the System32 folder.

Will rei-install to neutral location tomorrow.