VOGONS

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

POD Gold seems to work perfectly fine for the most part with dgvoodoo's Glide wrapper. Gameplay is smooth, intro video works fine. The only problem is that it seems that when I quit the game, half the time the game will just crash, not actually closing and instead just sitting in a non-responsive state in the background until I force-close it through task manager. I made sure it wasn't my config to the best of my ability, testing the default settings versus my settings, only to find that it yields the same result. I also tried messing with the PodHacks Hook config, which is more or less required to run on modern Windows, and that didn't seem to help either. The only thing that seemed to work perfectly fine was instead using GOG's included glide wrapper, which while it's serviceable for most people isn't as accurate and lacks the ability to scale the game to native resolution.

Does anyone know of any other possible solutions for this issue?

Reply 1 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PodHacks: https://svn.nicode.net/podhacks/bin/

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Err... PodHacks fixes not all POD versions? I will check this...
Pod Gold -- 6 *.exes (14 but can't test CIF, SGL, S3D and Max64 variants). Software, d3d and glide.
2.8 patches -- 8 versions. Software, d3d3, d3d5, glide (MMX only).
FF patches -- 4 versions. D3d5 and glide (MMX only).

Well, glide versions are ok on my retro-PC. But podd3dx.exe freezes (around 3/4 runs). Looks like PodHacks isn't perfect solution to "Quit game" lock. *Censored*...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't reproduce the crash. Just the usual deadlock at quit, when the game pops up a (n invisible) error message box (because of that fact that it calls grGlideShutdown and then calls into grLfbLock returning an error).

But, I don't know what executable I have, it's an old installation. Other than it's the 3Dfx version (pod3x3dfx.exe) I cannot remember what version it is. I have an ancient patcher app for this game so probably it's the patched version that I ran.

Reply 5 of 6, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-02-19, 09:44:

I can't reproduce the crash. Just the usual deadlock at quit, when the game pops up a (n invisible) error message box (because of that fact that it calls grGlideShutdown and then calls into grLfbLock returning an error).

But, I don't know what executable I have, it's an old installation. Other than it's the 3Dfx version (pod3x3dfx.exe) I cannot remember what version it is. I have an ancient patcher app for this game so probably it's the patched version that I ran.

The "deadlock" is what I was referring to as a crash. Is there a way to fix that?

Reply 6 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know, basically it's an issue on the game side. It calls a Glide function after closing the Glide session and goes into an infinite loop intentionally.
It also seems to depend on 'timing' because it does not come with the debug version of dgVoodoo which is much slower (the real debug version not the spec-release).