VOGONS

First post, by schM0ggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

thank you Dege for the great effort. With dgVoodoo, it's possible to play older games (< DX9) without problems on modern machines.

Now, as I understand it, it seems that black screens and/or glitches are the current status and "normal" on (newer?) AMD cards.
At least, that's my experience since version 2.56, I think, or since the first version with the DirectX 9 implementation.
That means for me, newer dgVoodoo versions with DirectX feature level set to 10 or 11 are producing a black screen ingame.
Sometimes, the main menu is visible, sometimes not, depending on the game. But at the latest when I'm ingame, screen is black (audio is present) and games are not playable.
Using DirectX feature level 12 does fix the black screen but produces funny graphical glitches ingame. White surfaces, missing textures etc. So to sum up, neither way is playable.
Because of this, I was still on 2.54 all the time. I have a RX 5700 AMD card. I think I've read somewhere that it has something to do with newer drivers from AMD? I'm not sure.

Now comes the interesting part:
I completely switched to Linux recently and tried out the newest dgVoodoo in combination with Wine on some older games.
Same problems, at least when using the buildin WineD3D opengl translator for DirectX feature level 10/11.
The buildin Wine VKD3D translator is working combined with DirectX feature level 12, but does produce the same problem (missing textures, white surfaces etc.).
But, to my delight, using DXVK (for DirectX feature level 10/11) or VKD3D-Proton (for DirectX feature level 12) does fix both problems (black screen and graphical glitches). That's great. I can now use the newest dgVoodoo version without problems. As far as I know, DXVK can also be used on Windows, though not "officially" supported. Same goes for VKD3D-Proton. So, just wanted to drop this off. 😀

Reply 1 of 1, by Lemonzest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been using dgVoodoo2 with dxvk since before dxvk supported D3D9 which is a few years, always worked great 😀 one example I found was Tomb Raider Legend, with default DXVK it has texture flicker and other anomalies but when combined with dgVoodoo2 it looks perfect, I've been using Linux exclusively for about 12 years now, only been gaming on it about 4 of those, and dgVoodoo2 has been an amazing help getting older D3D 1-9 games working in Wine, I remember using dgVoodoo1 when it was just a glide wrapper for running Diablo II