VOGONS

First post, by Zilch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Would it be possible to have dgVoodoo2 pass its output API calls through DXVK for Vulkan compatibility?

If there were a checkbox under the API selection drop down menu, you could have dgVoodoo2 navigate to (for example if DX11 was set) "./dxvk/dxgi.dll" and "./dxvk/d3d11.dll".

Any thoughts? Perhaps the API overhead from doing DX9 > DX11 > VK is not worth it over DX12?

I reckon why not add it? Could be fun to experiment with, even if there are no performance gains over DX12.

Reply 1 of 3, by Krolin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can already use DXVK on top of dgVoodoo if you wish: just copy dgVoodoo D3D9.dll (D3D8.dll or D3DImm.dll + DDraw.dll for older games) and DXVK d3d11.dll + dxgi.dll to the game directory. DXVK supports D3D9, so it's pointless to use dgVoodoo + DXVK in this case. You may also try D8VK for D3D8 games.

Reply 2 of 3, by Zilch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seriously thanks for pointing this out. One of those stupid A2Q posts.

Just tested it, and it works well! Probably the only real way to play DX8/9 games in Linux.

Titles such as Pac Man World 2 need dgVoodoo2 otherwise there are all kinds of issues. Using the dxvk DX9 dll simply doesn't work as well as using both.

I don't really use Linux, but I am a Vulkan freak!

Reply 3 of 3, by Krolin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zilch wrote on 2023-07-23, 15:51:

Titles such as Pac Man World 2 need dgVoodoo2 otherwise there are all kinds of issues. Using the dxvk DX9 dll simply doesn't work as well as using both.

Yeah, early D3D9 games could be an issue. I recently had to use dgVoodoo for Colin McRae Rally 3 because SilentPatch crashes with DXVK :)

Edit: SilentPatchCMR3 Build 2.1 fixed DXVK incompatibility.
https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/SilentPatc … releases/latest