VOGONS

First post, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get Zuma's Revenge running in 4:3 on my 2560x1080 monitor but none of the scaling options seem to work so I get a stretched screen.
I can get 4:3 whenever I choose 1280x1024 but it looks kind of bad so I wonder if it's possible to choose 1440x1080 resolution some way.

Reply 2 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Procyon wrote on 2023-12-10, 09:29:

I'm trying to get Zuma's Revenge running in 4:3 on my 2560x1080 monitor but none of the scaling options seem to work so I get a stretched screen.
I can get 4:3 whenever I choose 1280x1024 but it looks kind of bad so I wonder if it's possible to choose 1440x1080 resolution some way.

It's strange that 'Stretched, keep aspect ratio' does not for you work in regard of the appearance, it should.
The only exception is if the game sets the resolution itself (so that, changes the desktop resolution) before dgVoodoo is activated then you're out of luck.

Anyway, you can either force a custom resolution by adding one to DirectX\Resolution, or you can specify a custom application resolution by adding it to DirectXExt\ExtraEnumeratedResolutions and select it from the application if it supports that particular resolution. You can do that even from the Cpl.

But I think this is mentioned in the readme.

Reply 3 of 6, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eddman wrote on 2023-12-13, 11:32:

For example, for nvidia, the scaling option is "Aspect ratio".

Aspect ratio setting in video drivers is sometimes not reliable - it may be not available (and it's hard to tell what set of conditions causes it to appear) or it simply doesn't work (as is the case with DX12 games on AMD, which are hard to force into letterbox mode on a 4:3 monitor).
It would be good for dgVoodoo to have a notion of rendering resolution separate from physical resolution (e.g. render at resolution set in the game or in dgVoodooCpl, but keep current desktop resolution unchanged (and apply scaling and aspect ratio correction as needed and as configured).

Reply 4 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote on 2023-12-21, 17:19:

It would be good for dgVoodoo to have a notion of rendering resolution separate from physical resolution (e.g. render at resolution set in the game or in dgVoodooCpl, but keep current desktop resolution unchanged (and apply scaling and aspect ratio correction as needed and as configured).

?
That's exactly what 'Stretched, *' and 'Centered, keep aspect ratio' scaling modes do. You can even define the phyisical resolution, but it's called 'desktop resolution' in the config. And even the resampling filter, integer pixel multiplication, and so on.

'Unspecified' - left to the driver, whatever it does
'Stretched' - stretching to the whole screen, done by the driver
'Centered' - centered image, done by the driver

Reply 5 of 6, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2023-12-21, 17:19:

Aspect ratio setting in video drivers is sometimes not reliable - it may be not available (and it's hard to tell what set of conditions causes it to appear) or it simply doesn't work (as is the case with DX12 games on AMD, which are hard to force into letterbox mode on a 4:3 monitor).

I don't know about AMD and intel, but for nvidia it has always worked for me when I set the scaler to GPU and enable the "Override" option.

Reply 6 of 6, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote on 2023-12-21, 17:31:

That's exactly what 'Stretched, *' and 'Centered, keep aspect ratio' scaling modes do. You can even define the phyisical resolution, but it's called 'desktop resolution' in the config. And even the resampling filter, integer pixel multiplication, and so on.

Okay, I'm gonna experiment with these settings.

eddman wrote on 2023-12-21, 17:45:

I don't know about AMD and intel, but for nvidia it has always worked for me when I set the scaler to GPU and enable the "Override" option.

Unfortunately on AMD it's hit or miss if the setting works in a given configuration. For some games I need GPU scaling on, for some I need GPU scaling off…
Also I have a low-end PC with integrated Intel graphics, that appears to not support scaling at all: only "centered" mode is available, unless it's 640x480 which is stretched. This is driver issue since in Linux scaling works fine.