VOGONS

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I upgraded my GTX460 to a GTX1660, dgvoodoo became a must have for even more older games since some texture problems were introduced by the new hardware or drivers (mostly absent/see-through black textures). However I can only use up to 8x AA mode while without using the wrapper I'm able to force up to 32xS AA mode by using nvidia profile inspector (many other AA modes like regular 32x strangely does not work with the GTX1660 while they did with the GTX460). In some cases, forcing a high AA mode also helps to limit the framerate on some games that need it in order to run on today's hardware. Would it be possible to have higher AA modes on future releases of dgvoodoo?

Reply 1 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Google tells me 32xS is 2xSSAA + 8xMSAA.

If you set resolution to 2X the game resolution, that's effectively SSAA. Then just enable 8X MSAA.

If aliasing still bothers you at that point, what you need is a higher resolution screen.

dgVoodoo has a framerate limiter for games that need it. Though using RivaTuner is probably better.

Reply 2 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-03, 01:32:

Since I upgraded my GTX460 to a GTX1660, dgvoodoo became a must have for even more older games since some texture problems were introduced by the new hardware or drivers (mostly absent/see-through black textures). However I can only use up to 8x AA mode while without using the wrapper I'm able to force up to 32xS AA mode by using nvidia profile inspector (many other AA modes like regular 32x strangely does not work with the GTX1660 while they did with the GTX460). In some cases, forcing a high AA mode also helps to limit the framerate on some games that need it in order to run on today's hardware. Would it be possible to have higher AA modes on future releases of dgvoodoo?

Is that 32x MSAA natively supported by the GPU? Because that's the only way I could support it for the time being. The other way is the one ZellSF wrote, "emulating" 32x by 8x MSAA with higher, supersampled resolutions.
I'm maybe wrong but today's GPU don't really support MSAA higher than 8x/16x, but if there are exceptions from the row, I could add higher MSAA options into dgVoodoo.

And yes, for limiting the FPS, you can use the internal frame rate limiter.

Reply 3 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32xS is not listed on the control panel but it works if I force it using nvidiaprofileinspector (many other modes listed there just don't work). However, I found out that the "App driven" option in dgvoodoo2 control panel seems to use whatever AA mode I choose outside it. I just haven't found out where to enable dgvoodoo2's FPS limiter.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out it's on the config file but not on the control panel.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then I think 32xS is a "fake" MSAA, achieved by the driver with additional background rendering alterations, the same as how it could be implemented in dgVoodoo.

Btw, right click on the Cpl window and you can enable all the config tabs.

Reply 5 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, so much I could do and I never knew. Thanks a lot!
EDIT: Regarding AA, 32xS is indeed a fake mode but looks amazingly good and "App Driven" has no effect on anything below DX8 as stated on the control panel.