VOGONS

First post, by Joshhhuaaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Versus multiplayer) had a regression starting on v2.82.1. Certain objects will glow like this destructible part of the ceiling for some reason. Just going to revert to older versions, but thought I'd report it.

These particular screenshots were with the GeForce 4 Ti 4800 option.
nIbT8Ed.png
buiqida.png

Reply 1 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joshhhuaaa wrote on 2024-01-29, 11:00:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Versus multiplayer) had a regression starting on v2.82.1. Certain objects will glow like this destr […]
Show full quote

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Versus multiplayer) had a regression starting on v2.82.1. Certain objects will glow like this destructible part of the ceiling for some reason. Just going to revert to older versions, but thought I'd report it.

nIbT8Ed.png
buiqida.png

Can you show me such a location in single player mode, maybe? That's what I could check out for the time being.
Btw, why the GF 4800 for Chaos Theory? It's a DX9 game, you could use shader model 3 (unless you have a good reason not to).

Reply 2 of 7, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2024-01-29, 18:09:

Can you show me such a location in single player mode, maybe? That's what I could check out for the time being.
Btw, why the GF 4800 for Chaos Theory? It's a DX9 game, you could use shader model 3 (unless you have a good reason not to).

That's the Versus mode, which is D3D8, not single player.

Reply 3 of 7, by Joshhhuaaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Versus multiplayer) had a regression starting on v2.82.1. Certain objects will glow like this destr […]
Show full quote

nIbT8Ed.png
buiqida.png

As eddman said, this is Chaos Theory's Versus mode. It should be treated as an entirely different game than Chaos Theory single player and coop. Developed by another studio, it runs on its own executable, runs on DirectX8, and it's closer to SC1/Pandora Tomorrow in terms of tech. It's not quite the same as SC1/SCPT single player though, it doesn't use Nvidia shadow buffers or anything, so I'm not sure if the glow is a problem in the single players.

Another thing that's weird about this regression, it's only this particular destructible mesh that is glowing for some reason. I'm not sure if I can find anything else with this glowing issue. I'll try and see if I can find any other glow problems.

oSFDR0J.png
Here's a bad screenshot of what I'm trying to describe, the green ones I put borders around are rendering correctly, only the red one is not. It's kinda strange how particular this glow problem is, as far as I know it might only occur on this map and only on this particular ceiling part. It seems to be a dgVoodoo2 issue still, v2.82 does not show the glow.

---
If you are interested in looking into this and have some free time, I made a small build for testing that only includes the level that is shown and you'll be able to load it up easily.

SCCT Versus test package (60 MB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xSC2R0xnABJY … hT5rFB-lRY/view

1. Simply run the game (System\SCCT_Versus.exe).
2. Enter profile name.
3. After creating the profile, it'll ask for you to do the tutorials, simply press "Back" on the lower left corner of the screen, and re-select your profile to skip tutorials.
4. Navigate in the menus after selecting your profile again: Tutorial > Visit a Map , press switch teams to be a Mercenary (just makes it easier you spawn closer), and press Launch Map
5. Turn around and run down the hallway, that ceiling is affected.

Here's a video if my steps were confusing
https://youtu.be/T7MIObERT5s

Reply 6 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joshhhuaaa wrote on 2024-01-30, 00:19:
As eddman said, this is Chaos Theory's Versus mode. It should be treated as an entirely different game than Chaos Theory single […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

nIbT8Ed.png
buiqida.png

As eddman said, this is Chaos Theory's Versus mode. It should be treated as an entirely different game than Chaos Theory single player and coop. Developed by another studio, it runs on its own executable, runs on DirectX8, and it's closer to SC1/Pandora Tomorrow in terms of tech. It's not quite the same as SC1/SCPT single player though, it doesn't use Nvidia shadow buffers or anything, so I'm not sure if the glow is a problem in the single players.

Another thing that's weird about this regression, it's only this particular destructible mesh that is glowing for some reason. I'm not sure if I can find anything else with this glowing issue. I'll try and see if I can find any other glow problems.

oSFDR0J.png
Here's a bad screenshot of what I'm trying to describe, the green ones I put borders around are rendering correctly, only the red one is not. It's kinda strange how particular this glow problem is, as far as I know it might only occur on this map and only on this particular ceiling part. It seems to be a dgVoodoo2 issue still, v2.82 does not show the glow.

---
If you are interested in looking into this and have some free time, I made a small build for testing that only includes the level that is shown and you'll be able to load it up easily.

2. Enter profile name.
3. After creating the profile, it'll ask for you to do the tutorials, simply press "Back" on the lower left corner of the screen, and re-select your profile to skip tutorials.
4. Navigate in the menus after selecting your profile again: Tutorial > Visit a Map , press switch teams to be a Mercenary (just makes it easier you spawn closer), and press Launch Map

Thank you!
I could reproduce it and found the bug. Indeed, a copy-paste like one from the light remapping code. Fixed.

Reply 7 of 7, by Joshhhuaaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2024-01-30, 14:57:
Joshhhuaaa wrote on 2024-01-30, 00:19:
As eddman said, this is Chaos Theory's Versus mode. It should be treated as an entirely different game than Chaos Theory single […]
Show full quote

oSFDR0J.png

---

2. Enter profile name.

Thank you!
I could reproduce it and found the bug. Indeed, a copy-paste like one from the light remapping code. Fixed.

Thanks for the quick fix. Also, Versus is included with the single player of the game, so you should have it. When you start up the single player, the "Versus" option on the main menu simply closes the single player game and opens the Versus .exe automatically. Regardless, essentially 2 separate games, they don't rely on each other at all.

SCPT Versus and SCCT Versus are very similar and do run on the same engine like lowenz said, but both are different than SC1/SCPT single player still.