VOGONS

First post, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a huge Balls of Steel fan from back in the day and like many, have constantly dealt with the frustrations of trying to get Wildfire's awful engine running on modern PCs. After doing a video on the horrendous re-release that just came out, I told my audience that I was going to do another video showing how to get the original release running on a modern PC so they could play this collection as intended.

I had the former GOG release going just using compatibility mode, but that caused major screen tearing and other oddities. Seeing that dgVoodoo2 was known to work with Balls of Steel, I decided to set that up. The game looks phenomenally better and has no screen tearing, but the balls in all the tables moves incredibly slowly, making it feel like you're playing in low gravity. The scoreboard also seems to update more slowly as well, though other visual elements and sounds seem fine. In addition, the Windows "spinning blue circle" always appears in the same place just above the scoreboard and stays there whenever the game is running, regardless of whether my mouse cursor is when I run it and regardless of whether I have dgVoodoo2 set to capture the mouse. This is with the latest dgVoodoo2 release and it has Mok's1 1.3c unofficial patch installed, as well as BOSLoader v1.1.

Seeing as how this is a "known supported" title if you will for dgVoodoo, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a way to resolve this? It's the last step before I can showcase to peopel how to play this properly without supporting the gods awful rerelease. I've attached the .conf file I'm using, and here is a link to a short video detailing the problem.

Thanks all and thanks for dgVoodoo! 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    20.28 KiB
    Downloads
    13 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fair point, but it's odd because when I just play it in compatibility mode without dgVoodoo2, it runs fine, but runs at slow speed with it, even though I have VSync disabled. But this gives me something to point at so I'll experiment a bit more. Cheers!

Reply 3 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so after experimenting with things a bit more, it seems I have to set my monitor's refresh rate (normally 144Hz) to 60Hz in Windows and when that's done, the game runs properly. There were very few if any 120Hz CRTs back in the Windows 95 era, so I'm not sure if the game was designed to run at 120fps (I certainly never played it at that rate back then), but it looks like this is the solution to the speed issue. Not a big deal to tell my viewers to drop their frame rate before starting the game. I'm still not sure why I get the persistent "spinning blue circle" at all times when the game is running though. If anyone has thoughts on that, I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

Reply 4 of 16, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you run it through dgvoodoo with an app that shows the framerate, you'll see it's running at 120 fps without vsync. And you don't need a 120 hz monitor for that. You played it at that framerate back then too, you just never noticed.

The retail CD 1.3 and the GOG version both run smoothly for me thanks to bosloader, no obvious tearing. There's a crash message after exiting tables but it's no big deal.

This actually reminded me to try out the pincabview mod that lets you play all the Wildfire tables in portrait/cabinet mode: https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5903-pinc … in-your-pincab/

Reply 5 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I've seen that mod and it looks pretty cool! I don't have a setup to test it on unfortunately.

The GOG version will crash for me when going to fullscreen unless I run BOSLoader in Windows 7 compatibility mode or earlier, but that introduced the major screen tearing. Having to drop my display to 60Hz to make it work with dgVoodoo work is no big deal, I just now have that problem with the persistent spinning blue circle whenever running the game with it.

Reply 8 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I went to the GitHub page to look for solutions to the mouse cursor issue there and apparently like 3 days after I decided to try out dgVoodoo for Balls of Steel, the author archived the project as he doesn't have time to maintain it anymore. Fair enough, it's a free project and he can do what he want, but I find my timing positively hilarious.

Reply 10 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's totally fair. Hopefully I can find a solution in the mean time. This might just be a case of needing to try older releases of the software as I've tried pretty much every combination of settings I can think of to no avail.

Reply 11 of 16, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By the way, you can right click on the banner to reveal some hidden options. Play around with those, maybe try borderless window.
This is probably yet another W11 issue, it has broken compatibility with a bunch of things. I don't get the cursor on my end in 10.

Reply 12 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I could totally believe it to be a Win11 thing. Microsoft refuses to give the Windows display subsystem the ground up rewrite it's needed since Windows 7, but they love making little tweaks here and there that break things while adding little of actual use. Thanks for that pro tip about the banner. More stuff I can test!

Reply 13 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Parallax Abstraction wrote on 2024-02-22, 02:11:

Oh I could totally believe it to be a Win11 thing. Microsoft refuses to give the Windows display subsystem the ground up rewrite it's needed since Windows 7, but they love making little tweaks here and there that break things while adding little of actual use. Thanks for that pro tip about the banner. More stuff I can test!

If you are talking about the speed, it's not an Windows 11 issue, it's a general issue. The game doesn't want to be synchronised by frames. With DxWnd, I keep VSync OFF and it runs at the correct frames.

Also I don't use BOSLOADER since the game works well without it with EmulateHeap. BOSLOADER rewrites the DDraw architecture of the game in D3D.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 14 of 16, by Parallax Abstraction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was talking about the issue with the persistent "spinning blue circle" after starting the game with dgVoodoo. That appears to be Windows 11 related. I had messed around with DxWnd as well, but didn't get very far. I might give it a try again. I have VSync disabled in dgVoodoo, but the ball physics still run at half speed unless I drop my screen's refresh rate to 60Hz. Which is not a big deal for me.

When you say EmulateHeap, are you referring to just running BOS.EXE with Windows' internal compatibility mode enabled or by using the Windows Compatibility Kit in particular?

Reply 15 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Parallax Abstraction wrote on 2024-02-22, 03:48:

I was talking about the issue with the persistent "spinning blue circle" after starting the game with dgVoodoo. That appears to be Windows 11 related. I had messed around with DxWnd as well, but didn't get very far. I might give it a try again. I have VSync disabled in dgVoodoo, but the ball physics still run at half speed unless I drop my screen's refresh rate to 60Hz. Which is not a big deal for me.

When you say EmulateHeap, are you referring to just running BOS.EXE with Windows' internal compatibility mode enabled or by using the Windows Compatibility Kit in particular?

Sorry I didn't follow you used dgVoodoo2. I wasn't using dgVoodoo2 in my tests. The game engine crashes due to heap issues, but I don't remember which table does it in BOS (can you mention a few?), the tables that used to crash were released with the UPG pack by Valusoft (that game used the BOS engine) and Mok's patch would do the DDraw -> D3D conversion that made things better, in both UPG and BOS.

What does BOS Loader do?

Reply 16 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-02-22, 05:34:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on 2024-02-22, 03:48:

Sorry I didn't follow you used dgVoodoo2. I wasn't using dgVoodoo2 in my tests. The game engine crashes due to heap issues, but I don't remember which table does it in BOS (can you mention a few?), the tables that used to crash were released with the UPG pack by Valusoft (that game used the BOS engine) and Mok's patch would do the DDraw -> D3D conversion that made things better, in both UPG and BOS.

What does BOS Loader do?

Update: Okay I got a table that crashes: Darkside. On Windows 11 23H2 with EmulateHeap, at least DirectSound mode works. Wave mapper still fails (as Winmm fails)