VOGONS

First post, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi Dege!

I recently purchased the Dungeon Siege collection from GoG.
I have previously used dgvoodoo2 to play the retail version of DS1: LoA and never had any issue (thank you BTW).
The same goes for DS2 which I tried out the other day.

Now I'm trying to play DS3 and there's something wrong with the textures for both the world and the characters.
Basically they show up for a brief moment and then turn black, making the game unplayable.
I've looked up online for a solution and found two suggestions: A) turn OFF the in-game antialiasing option; B) set the in-game "shader quality" to LOW
Unfortunately no permutation of those settings brought any benefit.

So I tried to use dgvoodoo2 with a default local .conf file, but the game does not seem to hook up with any dll provided by the wrapper (no watermark on screen).
PCGW says that the game uses the D3D9 api (and indeed if I try to use dxvk, the wrapper logs demonstrate that it is being initialized).
This happens with both the latest release (2.82.3) and with the latest WIP (95)

Could you please have look at it?
Thank you!

Reply 2 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Delfino Furioso wrote on 2024-03-20, 14:58:
hi Dege! […]
Show full quote

hi Dege!

I recently purchased the Dungeon Siege collection from GoG.
I have previously used dgvoodoo2 to play the retail version of DS1: LoA and never had any issue (thank you BTW).
The same goes for DS2 which I tried out the other day.

Now I'm trying to play DS3 and there's something wrong with the textures for both the world and the characters.
Basically they show up for a brief moment and then turn black, making the game unplayable.
I've looked up online for a solution and found two suggestions: A) turn OFF the in-game antialiasing option; B) set the in-game "shader quality" to LOW
Unfortunately no permutation of those settings brought any benefit.

So I tried to use dgvoodoo2 with a default local .conf file, but the game does not seem to hook up with any dll provided by the wrapper (no watermark on screen).
PCGW says that the game uses the D3D9 api (and indeed if I try to use dxvk, the wrapper logs demonstrate that it is being initialized).
This happens with both the latest release (2.82.3) and with the latest WIP (95)

Could you please have look at it?
Thank you!

AFAIR it's a game that loads d3d9.dll from the system folder. So, you can modify string(s) "d3d9.dll" in the executable to, say, "b3d9.dll" with a hex editor and copy dgv d3d9.dll into the system folder as b3d9.dll.
I think that's the simplest workaround.

Reply 3 of 3, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2024-03-20, 18:06:

AFAIR it's a game that loads d3d9.dll from the system folder. So, you can modify string(s) "d3d9.dll" in the executable to, say, "b3d9.dll" with a hex editor and copy dgv d3d9.dll into the system folder as b3d9.dll.
I think that's the simplest workaround.

So it's one of those, huh?
Well I edited the executable to make it look up for "b3b9.dll" but unfortunately it still searches it in "C:\WINDOWS\SysWoW64"

However I've been able to setup "DLL redirection" by following this MS article:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win … ary-redirection

Now dgvoodoo2 is being loaded correctly!
Thank you for the insight