VOGONS

dgVoodoo crash with Rog Ally

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 42, by Sh1nRa358

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. ok, cool. fixed! ffxiii and ffxiii2, no more crash.

2. However, ffxiii-3 lightning returns crashes with both dx12 modes but works fine with the dx11 modes (also AMD only-works fine for nvidia and intel)
here is the dgvoodoo debug view crash log: https://mega.nz/file/7psUTI5C#Qx9f7P4cR0VR6Zp … ffFCwDpXpuGXytA

3. Another serious problem with this game (lightning returns) is that the framebuffer effects are locked to a low resolution, making everything pixelated and shimmery no matter the resolution. Is there anything dgvoodoo2 can do about this like make the framebuffer effects the same resolution as the actual resolution with an option? Gedosato fixed this problem but that is way too old.

4. if it's not too much to ask, can you throw in that Negative LOD bias CLAMP option under anisotropic filtering that i asked about in the main thread a while back? that fixes the pixelated shimmering completely in some of these games without having to put the resolution at 5k. It'll also fixes the shimmering in some of the early Tales games and early Koei Tecmo games. Please oh please ol' wise one xD

5. And what was the solution btw (for ffxiii and xiii2) so i can run it by Crosire of Reshade because reshade crashes xiii-2 (only) the same way and maybe that can help him fix that for reshade?

Reply 23 of 42, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sh1nRa358 wrote on 2024-04-12, 21:07:
1. ok, cool. fixed! ffxiii and ffxiii2, no more crash. […]
Show full quote

1. ok, cool. fixed! ffxiii and ffxiii2, no more crash.

2. However, ffxiii-3 lightning returns crashes with both dx12 modes but works fine with the dx11 modes (also AMD only-works fine for nvidia and intel)
here is the dgvoodoo debug view crash log: https://mega.nz/file/7psUTI5C#Qx9f7P4cR0VR6Zp … ffFCwDpXpuGXytA

3. Another serious problem with this game (lightning returns) is that the framebuffer effects are locked to a low resolution, making everything pixelated and shimmery no matter the resolution. Is there anything dgvoodoo2 can do about this like make the framebuffer effects the same resolution as the actual resolution with an option? Gedosato fixed this problem but that is way too old.

4. if it's not too much to ask, can you throw in that Negative LOD bias CLAMP option under anisotropic filtering that i asked about in the main thread a while back? that fixes the pixelated shimmering completely in some of these games without having to put the resolution at 5k. It'll also fixes the shimmering in some of the early Tales games and early Koei Tecmo games. Please oh please ol' wise one xD

5. And what was the solution btw (for ffxiii and xiii2) so i can run it by Crosire of Reshade because reshade crashes xiii-2 (only) the same way and maybe that can help him fix that for reshade?

1.+5.: Great, thanks! It was a bug in the ps.3.0 shader code translator (unlinked shader input registers), so TBH I don't know how it could help Reshade.

2: Thank for that too. Unfortunately it's a DX12-device-remove, so it's not a direct crash. For those cases a log from the DX12 debug layer can tell the reason in general. For that, you need to install the Win SDK.
If you like the idea and are in on it, I explained the details for that in this thread: Re: A newbie problem

3: If you force a larger resolution in dgVoodoo then the size of the internal offscreen render-buffers are also grown. There is an option to leave them at their original size, but that's all. Maybe a game specific hack could handle it, I don't know how Gedosato did it.

4: I'll see, but not in a patch version that for sure, becaue I cannot change the configuration in a patch version.

Last edited by Dege on 2024-04-15, 06:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 42, by Sh1nRa358

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i think i did it right. install and selected the things in that link. used debug dgvoodoo2. 4th option in debug to the max in dgvd2. started game and went right before the part of the crash. single cored the game. turned on debug++. proceeded in game. crash.

log: https://mega.nz/file/W5cAnRKa#axbyRujRfpf-iV_ … WfjO6Mbk1xma50o

Reply 25 of 42, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks!

Ok, the DX12 error message is useful, but I can't figure out which CopyTextureRegion call is the culprit. I tried to repro it by the log with my own test app but I didn't succeed.

Could you plz make another dump?
1) I updated the .zip package for the dump (with the latest fixes) that I sent you in PM - (this d3d9 version automatically sets the affinity to single core)
2) Could you plz enable breaking on errors and corruption (Break on Severity) in the DXCPL on the Break Settings tab? (see the attached image)
This way the game will crash at the first DX dbg layer error msg and the dump is created. The DebugView++ log is not needed.

Attachments

• dxcpl_ffxiii.png
    Filename
    dxcpl_ffxiii.png
    File size
    95.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 27 of 42, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't you delete the LocalDumps key in the registry?
I tried what I proposed with an app and it worked for me.

The Add/Remove box is not important, it can be empty. I just added some extra messages for myself previously that's why they are there. The point is to have the 3 checkboxes checked on the Break Settings tab (not to confuse with Message Settings tab).

Reply 28 of 42, by Sh1nRa358

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Clipboard0122222.jpg
Filename
Clipboard0122222.jpg
File size
125.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Clipboard011111111.jpg
Filename
Clipboard011111111.jpg
File size
319.05 KiB
Views
File license

i did but i double clicked the .reg file again before doing this and restarted before finishing. other things appeared from other programs before i clicked the .reg file again but no dump from the game. before i first did this, there were already other programs using this folder. yes i was on the break settings tab. and the 4th option in dgvd2 is on the last setting on the hidden debug tab. dgvd used was redownloaded from our dms

Last edited by Sh1nRa358 on 2024-04-13, 20:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 42, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then I think the problem is that you reached the dump-limit. There is the DumpCount key in the reg folder, set to 16 which means that you can have 16 dump files as a maximum (to avoid accumulating garbage on your drive).
Just delete the dmp files in the CrashDumps folder to make room for new ones.

Reply 30 of 42, by Sh1nRa358

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
210.18 KiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
236.1 KiB
Views
File license

still nothing, I even went into properties of your files and clicked the unblocked checkbox DX

Reply 39 of 42, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Btw, don't forget to disable the dx12 debug layer or remove the path for the game in dxcpl, or else it'll cause performance drop.
And to delete the LocalDumps in registry, if you don't want garbage dump files generated each time something crashes.