VOGONS

First post, by vlbastos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to configure dgvoodoo2 to run games in a 1600x900 sized window and 1080p internal resolution?
Some apps can do that, like RPCS3.
It's useful for lowering ReShade's impact on performance (it process the shaders in the window size instead of the internal resolution), and you can use Lossless Scaling to get it back to a high resolution using FSR or LS1 upscaling.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the app is windowed mode then the resolution and the window size is always up to the application, cannot be forced.

For fullscreen, the internal resolution can be forced to whatever you want, by options DirectX\Resolution and Glide\Resolutions, but if you force the appearance into windowed mode then the window size is always set to match the internal resolution. If you manually resize that window then scaling takes place but that's done by the OS desktop compositor.

But TBH, I don't understand your use case. If you renders at 1080p then Reshade sees the input image at 1080p, independently on window size. Or does it take it to account in some way?

Reply 2 of 3, by vlbastos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2024-04-07, 13:12:

But TBH, I don't understand your use case. If you renders at 1080p then Reshade sees the input image at 1080p, independently on window size. Or does it take it to account in some way?

It takes it to account in some way. You can run PS3 games in RPCS3 with 4k internal resolution and make it run in a, ie, 1280x720 window, and Reshade will do its magic using the 1280x720 window resolution, not the 4k one. It makes a HUGE difference on performance, and you still get the 4k resolution internally (no jaggies, better definition etc). You'll have a small window, sure, but then you can upscale this small window to your desktop resolution using Lossless Scaling (a 3rd party app that scales windowed games to desktop resolution using FSR, Nvidia Image Scaling, Anime4k, many other methods, or its own LS1 method).

Using Reshade in my desktop's resolution (1080p) gives me an average 7~8ms performance hit. If I use it in a 1600x900 window, it gives a ~4ms performance hit or less. And I don't lose any definition quality thanks to the high internal resolution and good upscaling methods.

Basically, you supersample to a small window, then do the Reshade post-processing at a smaller resolution, then you upscale it back to fullscreen.

Reply 3 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, the image is output at 1600x900 from RPCS3 I guess, so ReShade works on that smaller image. But what scales it back to 1080p? It's also Reshade? Because once the image is presented to Reshade then it's up to that what happens with it afterwards.

Anyway, dgVoodoo already has the image scaler in its presentation process (see how it works exactly in the QuickGuide) so it could be exploited for such purposes. Say, introducing a "presentation resolution" as a new option but I'm afraid it's too confusing.