VOGONS

First post, by Cypher321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Edit: 4.3 drivers did the trick (at least for Darkstone!)

Hey Folks,

I hit a snag with gaming on my Windows 98 SE machine and was hoping to get some help in troubleshooting the issue. Right now, my computer gets touchy with windows based games such as SiN and Darkstone and likes to crash them back to the desktop during the intro cinematics without an error message. It isn't a 100% failure rate as I've been able to get Baldur's Gate and Unreal running though Unreal has a constant RGB snow on screen that I've been trying to figure out. On the flip side, I haven't had any issue with my DOS based games (WC1, C&C, etc.) Any thoughts on the root cause of this? Things I'm considering trying are:

-Change from DX7 to DX6.1
-Roll back the drivers to what's on the CD for my GPU (have most current drivers installed now
-Nuke the system with a fresh install and hope for the best

My system is:

-Mobo: MSI KM4M-V KM400
-GPU: Radeon 9600
-CPU: Athlon XP 1600+
-HDD: Western Digital (It's an IDE, can't find much else ID-wise)
-Sound Card: Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 2, by Cypher321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2021-12-26, 09:04:

Ripping out DX9 for older DXs for using DX9-class hardware with minimum of DX9-supported drivers seems like a recipe for disaster....

Luckily it was just a waste of time for a non-solution with the driver being the underlying cause! 😜

That being said, I'm debating whether to bring the system up to DX9 or leave well enough alone on DX7 since, as you pointed out, the HW is designed for DX9. I'm still getting back up to speed on the in's and out's of Win98/WinXP era software/hardware as it's been YEARS since I've worried about hardware of that era. So far it's been alot of digging here (Thank God I found this forum!) and trial/error to get things going so I'll take any input I can get.