VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my Dos system (Intel SE440bx-2 motherboard ,dos7.1 ) the bios manages the Power/suspend features.
After Dos wakes up from a power saving mode it has lost the the correct time.
Say it is 3pm when it enters suspend mode, I wake it up by pressing the keyboard at 6pm, Dos time.exe command will still show 3pm and start ticking from then instead of the correct 6pm. Any files copied/created etc then show this wrong time.

The CMOS clock always has has the correct time when this happens but Dos doesn't seem to read from it at wakeup. The only way I can correct this is to reset the computer. Then the time is restored.

Is this how APM works in Dos with the clock, a limitation back in the day or is there some setting I am missing in DOS to get this working.

Reply 1 of 1, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-09-05, 18:07:
In my Dos system (Intel SE440bx-2 motherboard ,dos7.1 ) the bios manages the Power/suspend features. After Dos wakes up from a […]
Show full quote

In my Dos system (Intel SE440bx-2 motherboard ,dos7.1 ) the bios manages the Power/suspend features.
After Dos wakes up from a power saving mode it has lost the the correct time.
Say it is 3pm when it enters suspend mode, I wake it up by pressing the keyboard at 6pm, Dos time.exe command will still show 3pm and start ticking from then instead of the correct 6pm. Any files copied/created etc then show this wrong time.

The CMOS clock always has has the correct time when this happens but Dos doesn't seem to read from it at wakeup. The only way I can correct this is to reset the computer. Then the time is restored.

Is this how APM works in Dos with the clock, a limitation back in the day or is there some setting I am missing in DOS to get this working.

DOS is supposed to use the BIOS time. I would expect a quality BIOS to re-set the BIOS time from CMOS time when resuming from a power saving mode, but obviously your BIOS forgets to do that. You could try if things get better when you load POWER.EXE, the APM driver for DOS.