VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have a strange issue with the game.

The game itself runs fine, but if i shoot down a boat with a gun for example and the windows appears where it shows how it is hit ( its like an action scree) my game gets a turbo for 1 or 2 seconds and increases the speed by around 5 times. After that 1-2 seconds its normal again. It also happens when shooting the planes down.

I tan it on p3 800 and also on the same cpu with 400mhz by decreased fsb.

Both the same result. The gpu is a gf2 ti in win 98se.

I mean if the cpu would be too fast the whole game shouldnt work fine, right?

Reply 1 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not necessarily. Which Top Gun game is this?

The original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain has a similar issue. It was designed around a Pentium class CPU. Once the CPU power enters mid-t0-upper Pentium II levels, the game will run faster (but never unplayable; even as the CPU speed increases) with less action/enemies on screen but slows back down to normal speed when there's enough going on to keep the CPU busy. This doesn't happen when running with a Pentium 200MMX, for example. With that said, in Legacy of Kain this actually works to the game's benefit because you can walk faster through the levels than you otherwise could.

Resident Evil (original for the PC) is another game with CPU speed problems also designed around a Pentium machine. Regular play is fine until you get to a cut scene; then the audio gets out of sync while the physics speed up to insane levels the faster the CPU becomes. Movement returns to normal once the cut scene is over.

You'll find other games listed at Vogon's Wiki with timing issues and not just those that are unplay-ably fast:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

Reply 3 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The recommended CPU for this game is a 486DX@66MHz - it doesn't need or use a dedicated 3D accelerator either, so probably a CPU issue.

Some ideas to try:

Disable the onboard L2 cache in your BIOS.
Try a slowdown utility like SETMUI.
Try another system with a Pentium or 486DX.
If your machine is Slot 1, a Covington Celeron 266/66MHz with NO L2 cache will really slow things down. Or you could install a Pentium II+ 233/66MHz or 350/100MHz downclocked to 233/66MHz. *
If your machine is Socket 370, the slowest Celeron is 300A/66MHz Mendocino, and slowest Pentium III is a 500E/100Mhz CPU downclocked to 330/66MHz. *

*If your system is capable of a slower FSB, 60MHz for example, you can go even slower, of course.
+Some Pentium IIs have an unlocked multiplier, so you can go yet slower. See here: List of UNLOCKED Pentium II CPUs - A Quick Glance

Reply 4 of 6, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well unfortunately 66 mhz is the lowest i can go. All other games run fine with 800/400mhz so to change the cpu only for this game which works almost fine makes no sense. In bios i do not have the option for disabeling l2 cache. So will setmul give a try.

With the 533eb i can even go to 266 mhz. But that would be too low on the upper side.
The lowest celeron has also 266.

I had a p4 board where i could even get to 50 mhz fsb, but no cpu worked below 66, so i think this is the lowest value.

Reply 5 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atom1kk wrote on 2022-09-08, 21:46:
Well unfortunately 66 mhz is the lowest i can go. All other games run fine with 800/400mhz so to change the cpu only for this ga […]
Show full quote

Well unfortunately 66 mhz is the lowest i can go. All other games run fine with 800/400mhz so to change the cpu only for this game which works almost fine makes no sense. In bios i do not have the option for disabeling l2 cache. So will setmul give a try.

With the 533eb i can even go to 266 mhz. But that would be too low on the upper side.
The lowest celeron has also 266.

I had a p4 board where i could even get to 50 mhz fsb, but no cpu worked below 66, so i think this is the lowest value.

Whoops, I didn't check the numbers close enough on the Celeron and 533 Pentium III. Thanks for the correction!

Anyway, there's usually one game which doesn't work right no matter what the system is. Hopefully, SETMUI will work.

Reply 6 of 6, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So setmul didnt help. But this issue must have something else. I went down to 400 mhz and slowed the cpu with cpuspd. The game ran pretty slow but this issue appeard also. It was not so extreme but still. So this must have something to do with something else.

What was very interesting, that with 400 it didnt ran that smooth as with 800 mhz. I mean 400 should be still enough to run the game without issues. The same was with grand prix 2. With 400 it wasnt that smooth either and 400mhz here should also make no problems. Every other games didnt have the issue. Both are made by microprose. So it must be something with their code that they do not like this type of hardware modification.