VOGONS

First post, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Per @DosFreak's instructions I want to address @BloodyCactus post where he states:

"xmsdsk. call it from autoexec bat and not config sys, to bypass compatability mode and warnings and stuff."

This idea intrigued me, so I spent the better part of the day playing around with XMSDSK until I realized you can't use it with more than a 700MB or so partition... Anything larger and Windows sees the partition and its nonexistent contents as gibberish, if Windows boots at all with it activated.

My system is a rather strange one. It's a Pentium 4 with 2GB of ECC SDRAM (supported by 845 Chipset and enabled in BIOS)... Until now I've just been wasting a good portion of that, using RLOEW's excellent LIMITMEM to shrink available memory to 256mb... Having only a 500-700mb ramdisk swap with XMSDSK when all that spare RAM was just sitting there did not sit well. This system is meant to be a "slow" Win98 system, DirectX7 and TNT2. I chose this platform because I wanted the updated ICH of the Pentium 4 platform for my SSD.

Luckily, I discovered that RLOEW had a much better solution... It's a three part process... First, you load his HIMEMEX.SYS before HIMEM.SYS in CONFIG.SYS with the /A switch (in my case, "/A:1C0000" - which is 1,835,008 or 1792MB in HEX). This allocated the spare RAM (in my case I only want 256MB available for Windows, and the remainder (1,792MB - or 1C0000 in HEX) for the RAMDISK. The allocation also has the same effect as LIMITMEM (which is no longer needed), not only making the majority of the RAM invisible to Windows during the boot process, thus negating the need for any patches or hacks, but also working in tandem with the next step, which is to assign that allocated memory by invoking RLOEW's RAMDSK32.COM from Autoexec.bat - in my case "RAMDSK32.COM X: 1835008" (RAMDSK32 takes the RAM number in kilobits. 1792 x 1024 = 1,835,008).

Then we proceed to copy PROTHOOK.VXD to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, and to add the line "device=prothook.vxd" under [386Enh] in SYSTEM.INI and then you're able to set the swapfile in Windows to the new drive accordingly.

Windows will show the drive as being in compatibility mode, but that's unimportant. ATTO demonstrates that the performance is in fact quite good indeed:

attoramdisk.png
Filename
attoramdisk.png
File size
12.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I guess if you're using the earlier southbridge on the BX chipset and your storage device is stuck at 33MB/sec, then this is at least a good boost for the swap file, which should run at these higher rates regardless of the southbridge, because this speed is not related to the southbridge's IDE controller. But then again, you do need a *good* motherboard to properly handle that much RAM...

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 1 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’ve disabled swap on all my ssd builds. Seems to run fine…?

But I freaking love the idea of converting upper(upper) memory into a ram drive and assigning the swap file to it.

Have you by chance monitored this ram drive in system monitor or some program to see if it is being accessed much when ram for system is plentiful as it would be with 512mb?

Btw, I have run 512mb without issue on windows ME on my tyan s1564d for some time.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 6, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-19, 05:19:

I’ve disabled swap on all my ssd builds. Seems to run fine…?

Like I mentioned in here, certain games can simply break if you disable the swap file. One such game is Sanitarium, and probably Nocture is also affected (see my post for details).

Talking about putting the swap file to the RAM drive, has anybody found a concise guide with all the steps required to set it up? I've spent more than 1-2 hours in total on this over the last few days, and I managed to find instructions and links to the tools for WinXP, but I could not find the same info for Win98 for the life of me, either on this forum or elsewhere. Which is quite strange; I'd expect this to be something well-documented.

Could someone please share a working config perhaps? I have 512MB RAM in my Win98SE machine, so I was thinking to use the upper 256MB as RAM drive for the swap file -- the lower 256MB should be plenty for all pre-2001 games.

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L
Win98: Gigabyte K8VM800M, Athlon64 3200+, 512MB, Matrox G400, SB Live
WinXP: Gigabyte P31-DS3L, C2D 2.33 GHz, 2GB, GT 430, Audigy 4

Reply 3 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems like you might be able to build some commands into the dos files that boot windows like autoexec.bat etc. don’t ask me how though.

This would also be handy for my iRam drive. To auto format it and set it to swap/page file.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 6, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-19, 06:24:

It seems like you might be able to build some commands into the dos files that boot windows like autoexec.bat etc.

Yes, it seems to me too, I just couldn't find the specifics 😀

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L

Reply 5 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-19, 05:19:

Have you by chance monitored this ram drive in system monitor or some program to see if it is being accessed much when ram for system is plentiful as it would be with 512mb?

Nah, it's probably overkill, but it's nice to have the RAM in use and not just sitting there.

Rincewind42 wrote on 2022-09-19, 06:30:

Yes, it seems to me too, I just couldn't find the specifics 😀

The specifics are spelled out quite clearly in the readme.

Filename
README.TXT
File size
7.88 KiB
Downloads
53 downloads
File license
Public domain

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 6 of 6, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-09-19, 17:02:

The specifics are spelled out quite clearly in the readme.

Indeed, they are! Thanks for that. Now that I know which tool to use, that actually helps a lot 😀 I've been fooling around with XMSDSK, and there are a couple of others -- quite hard to follow what's going on when people forget to mention which particular RAM disk tool they use! (not you, in general 😀)

So for completeness' sake to help others, here's a link to this one that you recommended:

https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/RAMDISK/RAMDISK2.0/