VOGONS

WIn98SE system DOS mode: EMM386 only gives 31k UMBs!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 71, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LSS10999: I know how to make PIF files but want to run most DOS applications from within Windows, even graphics ones--SVGA ones also--and switching to DOS mode every time I want to run a DOS program is at best inconvenient. 🙁 I wouldn't mind doing it for special DOS-based programs and situations, though. I have a DOS-based NES emulator called NESticle. It supports ModeX VGA modes and Win32 LFNs. I'd rather have it run from within Windows and simply exit it to return to Windows. Running Windows applications in the background shouldn't mess up the emulator. 😀 Jo22: I thank you for your advice. I will Google it now. 😀

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 61 of 71, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I Googled Virtual PC Windows 98 and found some WIn98 emulators on modern versions of Windows but not DOS emulators for Win98. I will try a different search. 😀

Reply 62 of 71, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded DOSBox, even though I already have it on later versions of Windows. It should run very fast on that system, as it has a Pentium 4 processor at I think 1GHz.

Reply 63 of 71, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That isn't actually very fast. P4 processors are really quite inefficient.

Sure it isn't a P3?

Like other in this thread, I'm really not sure what you are trying to do. Run your DOS games from DOS, not Windows. Even at the time many games did not recommend doing what you are trying to do.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 64 of 71, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS start-up screen says it's a Pentium 4. Also, most DOS programs ran fine on an old Pentium 2. I can revert to DOS for most DOS programs, though. BTW, how do I have QEMM optimize a system setup in a PIF file? I am fully capable of doing it myself but really want QEMM to do it.

Reply 65 of 71, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harry Potter wrote on 2023-07-20, 18:58:

I downloaded DOSBox, even though I already have it on later versions of Windows. It should run very fast on that system, as it has a Pentium 4 processor at I think 1GHz.

A Pentium 4 rated at 1GHz does not exist.

Reply 67 of 71, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-07-22, 07:03:

Like other in this thread, I'm really not sure what you are trying to do.

I know what he was trying to do, getting UMB and EMS while running Windows 98 SE. By adding LocalLoadHigh=0 in the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI, all the UMB won't be taken when Windows starts.

Run your DOS games from DOS, not Windows. Even at the time many games did not recommend doing what you are trying to do.

Although there are DOS programs that doesn't work within Windows, most of those recommendations applies more to Windows 3.x than 9x. The latter fares better when running DOS applications and there are VxD drivers providing enhancements not available in pure DOS.

Harry Potter wrote on 2023-07-22, 10:27:

BTW, how do I have QEMM optimize a system setup in a PIF file? I am fully capable of doing it myself but really want QEMM to do it.

Make a PIF with custom CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT settings that starts MS-DOS mode, from there you can optimize with QEMM after executing the shortcut.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 68 of 71, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. Thank you. 😀 BTW, that's pretty much what I wanted. I also want utilities such as DOSKEY to start with Windows so I can use them in a DOS prompt. BTW, will Windows save the changes to the start-up files to the PIF file?

Reply 69 of 71, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Harry Potter wrote on 2023-04-29, 22:25:

I just looked at the output of MEM/D and found that, other than the monochrome video buffer, I only have 4k of Upper memory at CF00. I also tried MSD from the DOS prompt, and apparently, I don't have it. Where can I get it? BTW, I still have QEMM on my machine, and the Windows drivers seem to work. I was told here that QEMM has a program called MANIFEST. Will it display the Upper memory map the way you specify?

It is on the win9x install cdrom.

REMOVED

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-07-22, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 70 of 71, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harry Potter wrote on 2023-07-22, 14:42:

BTW, will Windows save the changes to the start-up files to the PIF file?

Yes, the changes done to both custom CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be saved into the PIF file after exiting MS-DOS mode.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS