VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I buy many motherboard from 1997 to 2005.
I dont know why, but when i install it, test a motherboard, then swapping motherboard, almost always my windows xp make a reset when booting.
Strange, but make it with identical chipsets too. Today i install windows xp to ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (Intel 875p), testing the motherboard (stability with aida, all of integrated hardware, like lan, usb, sound, etc), then swap the motherboard to ABIT IC7 (intel 875p too), then t6ry to boot, but after i see the windows cp logo at boot, make a restart.

Is any way to set up my windows to booting other hardware?

Thank you any helping hints, tipp

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use IDE instead of AHCI unless you've integrated all the AHCI drivers or the universal ATA driver.
Use dpinst to install all needed drivers.
Use sysprep w/ a source image.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
envagyok wrote on 2023-07-22, 18:10:
I buy many motherboard from 1997 to 2005. I dont know why, but when i install it, test a motherboard, then swapping motherboard […]
Show full quote

I buy many motherboard from 1997 to 2005.
I dont know why, but when i install it, test a motherboard, then swapping motherboard, almost always my windows xp make a reset when booting.
Strange, but make it with identical chipsets too. Today i install windows xp to ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (Intel 875p), testing the motherboard (stability with aida, all of integrated hardware, like lan, usb, sound, etc), then swap the motherboard to ABIT IC7 (intel 875p too), then t6ry to boot, but after i see the windows cp logo at boot, make a restart.

Is any way to set up my windows to booting other hardware?

Thank you any helping hints, tipp

winxp will crash due to different sata drivers of different motherboards
download hirens boot cd 15.2, there is an option there which can delete those satadrivers installed in, then of course your winxp hardisk will boot in any motherboard

Reply 3 of 4, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's possible to create a ramdisk based win9x deployment for use with a USB stick or with a CDROM.

You'll need to create a generic deployment of a reasonable size (at least 300mb for win98), using a virtual machine, and using a flat image type disk image. I'd suggest using drivespace3 to compress the bejeebus out of it, since it will be a ramdisk.
Once you have it made (and using generic drivers, like univbe), you will need to set up a syslinux bootable device of some kind, and then pass the syslinux boot loader the memdisk image instead of a kernel, and feed it the disk image file for the initrd.

This can also work with XP, but you will need a special disk driver slipped in.
https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?titl … indows_NT_based

Reply 4 of 4, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-07-22, 19:18:

Use IDE instead of AHCI unless you've integrated all the AHCI drivers or the universal ATA driver.
Use dpinst to install all needed drivers.
Use sysprep w/ a source image.

I installed windows xp to an IDE HDD , so no ahci/sata.
I tried universal ATA driver too.., no luck