VOGONS

First post, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, long time reader first time poster 😀

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting a joystick working in the original Need For Speed SE? I have a simple 2 axis/2 button joystick that works fine in other games (e.g. Nascar) as well as in Windows, and NFS will go through the initial calibration screen just fine showing expected input from the stick, and I can then navigate the menu system using the stick no problem. But in the game, only the buttons do anything (button 1 for horn and button 2 for map show/hide). The stick does nothing whatsoever.

I don't seem to be able to do anything with the control settings in the game other than change keyboard bindings, and I've been through the jcu.exe utility to try different settings such as axis enabling/remapping, but with no success.

I really hope I'm missing something obvious! Any ideas??

The joystick is a Kraft KC3, connected to an SB AWE64 Value, running under DOS 6.22 on an SS7 system (K6-2).

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird one, here's some random voodoo about AWE64 joystick probs in case it does something... AWE 64 Joystick Not Working in DOS Mode

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 3, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks - that's an interesting read. I did not have J200 in my autoexec.bat but adding it hasn't helped. 3 of 3 devices are initialised ok by the Creative gubbins, and CTCU shows everything as ok and no conflicts, so I'm fairly confident the joystick and port are happy especially given they work in other games/software.

Anyone got NFS:SE working ok with a joystick??

Reply 3 of 3, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it turns out I just needed to RTFM... in the controls setup screen if you click on the control option on the left it toggles the selected input on the right between keyboard, joystick, and mouse (as appropriate). Extremely non-obvious UX but hey it was the 90s. Now my joystick works perfectly and the game is amazing 😀