VOGONS

First post, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My ThinkPad 385XD's CD-ROM drive appears to be developing a failing laser, it used to boot fine off burned disks, now it won't even reliably read them at all. It will still boot from pressed ones but I don't have 98SE on official media, only 98FE, and I'd like to clean install Windows again due to a few problems with the old install (hard drive is fine).
I think in this case I'm just going to install using a different computer, move the hard drive back over and sort out drivers, but for the future, how come I can't get installation off the hard drive to work? I've done so with 95 with so problems.
I have a FAT32 formatted 4GB HDD, formatted on modern windows (could be an issue but I doubt it). I copied the contents of the 98SE CD image onto the drive in a subfolder. Then, I booted to DOS from my 98FE CD that actually works in the drive and started installation off disk. It gets through scandisk fine (which is why I think the format is fine) then fails quickly with error SU0013 saying it cannot create files on your startup drive and cannot set up windows 98.
Format issue?

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 3 of 9, by sgray

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anytime you can install from media other than optical or floppy, it's usually faster. You should be able to drop that \WIN98 directory from the CD onto the hard drive (preferably a 2nd drive on another IDE channel) , run setup and not have any issues.

As for the write-to-drive errors, I'd step back and check the hard drive. Run scandisk (or other drive test) and pending the outcome of that, zap it with a fresh table and re-create your FAT32 partition (remember to mark as active/bootable if you don't use an automatic utility). GParted Live or PartedMagic are wonderful at handling the above, but you can use MS-DOS provided tools as well. But yeah, even if the drive passes media test, I'd still start fresh with the drive as a whole and see if your problems go away.

Reply 4 of 9, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it was the drive as I said above same thing happened when installing off CD onto the drive from another system. Just a formatting issue, once I reformatted from the setup, I was able to install just fine. I now have drivers installing on said ThinkPad and have also installed the Plus Pack. All working great 😀
Even the ThinkPad's CD-ROM drive managed to make it through the 98 Plus! installer, although it does sound like it's struggling trying to read my 98 SE burned disk to install some drivers. It's doing it, but doesn't sound good. I definitely think the laser is failing.

Reply 5 of 9, by sgray

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it's a standard-ish IDE laptop drive (even behind the brackets/adapters), those drives are usually less than 10 bucks. From what I recall, the StinkPads used pretty standard components. Probably could even swap-in a IDE DVD drive for an upgrade!

Reply 6 of 9, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m not 100% sure on that - it uses a stacked cd/floppy drive which I’m pretty sure is one unit. I’ll have to double check if I could install a standard drive in there. Biggest issue there though would be transferring the bezel, if that’s even possible. The drive does sort of work so I’m not too bothered right now, but it would certainly be nice to install something 100% reliable.

I've done that sort of swap temporarily before on a Pentium III VAIO that I needed to reinstall Windows on, OEM drive was dead as a doornail so I had to temp-swap in the drive out of my Inspiron 8100.

IMG_5970.jpeg
Filename
IMG_5970.jpeg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 7 of 9, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for HOW:

Cook up a dos networking stack on a boot floppy. All the support goodies should fit, if you are minimalistic on everything else. (basically command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys, himem.sys, emm386.exe, net.exe and pals)

Once you have that up and working, use it to connect to a windows share that has the files you need. Copy them into a folder on your system's drive, then boot without the floppy (the installer does not like to share memory, and will get suwin errors) and run the installer.

cake.

Reply 8 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the network idea and has been on my todo list for a while now.
Until then though (and probably after) I always create a partition with the Win98 folder from the CD and at the very least drivers to get network up and running but if you have the space rest of the drivers, apps as well

Reply 9 of 9, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The networking approach to things keeps coming up in discussions, I should really learn more about how to actually do that stuff. I've always been TERRIBLE at anything to do with network configuration.
This ThinkPad also has no networking built in - unless you're talking DCC over Serial or Parallel, which I already use (LapLink over parallel). I have plenty of PCMCIA modems and ethernet cards though.

For now though, everything is set up and working.