VOGONS

First post, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I mean connecting just for reading websites, without installing anything from internet. At least not anything with one or more alerts on virustotal.com

I ask this, because I remember that Windows XP in his last days got a virus that entered the computer just installing it with a connection on. Just after the clean install you already got the virus.

Does that happen also on 95 or 98SE?

Reply 1 of 6, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psaez wrote on 2024-04-10, 20:30:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

I mean connecting just for reading websites, without installing anything from internet. At least not anything with one or more alerts on virustotal.com

I ask this, because I remember that Windows XP in his last days got a virus that entered the computer just installing it with a connection on. Just after the clean install you already got the virus.

Does that happen also on 95 or 98SE?

The Blaster worm would only get to your Windows XP system if it was directly connected to the internet and not behind a NAT/Firewall. If you use a regular home router, you should be fine.

While Win9x didn't have the vulnerable background services that Win2K/XP had that the Blaster worm exploited, you'll run into other types of issues, like not having a web browser that can negotiate a secure cipher with today's web services. I think there was a work-around for that, but I would still use the Opera web browser (9 or 10 works on Win95/98) because most of the malware and exploits target Internet Explorer.. or targeted anyway.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There aren't really any services enabled by default on Win9x, unless you configure with file sharing turned on or turn on the message program -- which you probably shouldn't. I don't remember any remote exploits in the network stack itself.

I think I remember there being issues with IGMP maybe having a DoS or a crash bug. Maybe it was fixed in a patch. But it wouldn't hurt having a firewall to mitigate things. But most of the time you run behind NAT? Right? I can't imagine you are suggesting running naked and plugging directly into your ISP these days.

The real problem is gonna be the browser, just connecting at all to most websites. You could try running lynx with modern ssl lib. Yeah, that would at least be something.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure how it's now, but in the 2000s, I've seen how quickly a Windows 98SE PC got infected.

Read my story here: Re: Windows XP how many people still use for it their MAIN OS?

Edit: My recommendation if you really want let Windows 98 go online: Get a physical firewall to protected the vintage PC.
It doesn't have to be fancy. An old DSL or cable router, a Raspberry Pi running PiHole etc.

Edit: Windows Scripting Host (WSH) might be enabled on Windows 9x; disable it if not necessary.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-04-11, 01:10:
Not sure how it's now, but in the 2000s, I've seen how quickly a Windows 98SE PC got infected. […]
Show full quote

Not sure how it's now, but in the 2000s, I've seen how quickly a Windows 98SE PC got infected.

Read my story here: Re: Windows XP how many people still use for it their MAIN OS?

Edit: My recommendation if you really want let Windows 98 go online: Get a physical firewall to protected the vintage PC.
It doesn't have to be fancy. An old DSL or cable router, a Raspberry Pi running PiHole etc.

Edit: Windows Scripting Host (WSH) might be enabled on Windows 9x; disable it if not necessary.

the3dfxdude wrote on 2024-04-11, 00:21:

There aren't really any services enabled by default on Win9x, unless you configure with file sharing turned on or turn on the message program -- which you probably shouldn't. I don't remember any remote exploits in the network stack itself.

I think I remember there being issues with IGMP maybe having a DoS or a crash bug. Maybe it was fixed in a patch. But it wouldn't hurt having a firewall to mitigate things. But most of the time you run behind NAT? Right? I can't imagine you are suggesting running naked and plugging directly into your ISP these days.

The real problem is gonna be the browser, just connecting at all to most websites. You could try running lynx with modern ssl lib. Yeah, that would at least be something.

Hi, I don't know anything about using a NAT, old DSL or cable router, pihole, etc... and even I don't have a raspberry pi. Also, yes, my intention was to connect it directly to my ISP router to have internet.

Then, is not safe to do it? Will it be automatically full of viruses? in that case, I simply will not do it. But other person on this post is telling that it will be safe.

Who is right?

Reply 5 of 6, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This topic came up recently, you should be able to find it with a search.

There is no clear cut answer. It's down to your approach to the risks. Your ISP router should mitigate a lot of the issues that were relevant during the hey-day of Windows 98 and XP. But the usefulness of having the systems online today is limited. Maybe working through those limitations is a fun exercise in and of itself though 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know of a definite answer, either.

One use case for having a Windows 9x system online are multiplayer games, I suppose.
Or old chat programs and media players, maybe.

Another reason might be nostalgia/reliving the past.
Browsing vintage websites on a vintage PC is priceless.

Wayback Machine seems to support this, I believe.
It can be accessed in a way that the site's history frame is being hidden.

In the browser's URL bar, merely the basic URL is being visible (no Wayback).

Sorry, can't put this into words right now.
That's what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OB1g8CUdbA

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//