VOGONS

First post, by MrSzalonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! I have a major issue. I installed Windows 98 SE with my AWE32. Before that I had DOS. So Windows recognised the card and installed the drivers for it and it worked. It played sounds in Windows. But when I wanted to start Doom, I hit a barrier. I got to the setup program to check if everything works fine. When I got to the sound FX thingy, I selected Sound blaster, then 220, then it said that "IRQ settings higher than 9 are not supported by our software!". I finished the setup. When I got into the game, I couldn't hear anything besides the music. Please help! Thank you! The Ultimate Doom photo was too big 🙁 ...

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IRQ != sound channels. It just means it read your BLASTER variable and panicked because DMX (Doom's sound engine) doesn't do IRQ>9. Reconfigure your AWE to use a lower IRQ. Doom mixes sounds in software.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second what leileilol said.

In addition to that, any software using the DOS/4GW extender doesn't support IRQs higher than 7, it isn't just limited to the DMX sound library.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 9, by MrSzalonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-05-24, 00:54:

IRQ != sound channels. It just means it read your BLASTER variable and panicked because DMX (Doom's sound engine) doesn't do IRQ>9. Reconfigure your AWE to use a lower IRQ. Doom mixes sounds in software.

But how do I do that? It worked in Dos 6.22. I'm new in this things.

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In windows you goto Device Manager -> sound, video game controller, Select the sound card and change the IRQ from the resources tab

Picture below isn't for the soundcard but the screens are exactly the same so you know what your looking for
GrbFjFdh_o.png

in dos you can just run diagnose and it'll ask which resources you want. IRQ 5 is the default for an AWE, 7 was also fairly typical

Reply 5 of 9, by MrSzalonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-05-24, 06:09:
In windows you goto Device Manager -> sound, video game controller, Select the sound card and change the IRQ from the resources […]
Show full quote

In windows you goto Device Manager -> sound, video game controller, Select the sound card and change the IRQ from the resources tab

Picture below isn't for the soundcard but the screens are exactly the same so you know what your looking for
GrbFjFdh_o.png

in dos you can just run diagnose and it'll ask which resources you want. IRQ 5 is the default for an AWE, 7 was also fairly typical

Thank you very much! I'll try it after school.

Reply 6 of 9, by MrSzalonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
In windows you goto Device Manager -> sound, video game controller, Select the sound card and change the IRQ from the resources […]
Show full quote

GrbFjFdh_o.png

I changed it from 10 to 5, but the problem remained. Can you send me a driver that can override the windows default or something?
Edit: it doesn't show that the irq is higher than 09, but the sound isn't working.
Just another edit: Ultimate Doom shows that the orq is higher than 9 and freezes the computer.

Reply 7 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrSzalonna wrote on 2024-05-24, 13:05:
I changed it from 10 to 5, but the problem remained. Can you send me a driver that can override the windows default or something […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

GrbFjFdh_o.png

I changed it from 10 to 5, but the problem remained. Can you send me a driver that can override the windows default or something?
Edit: it doesn't show that the irq is higher than 09, but the sound isn't working.
Just another edit: Ultimate Doom shows that the orq is higher than 9 and freezes the computer.

Can you show the how the rest of the resources are set for the AWE32?

From what I can see, change the first and the second "Direct Memory Access" to 1 and 5 respectively. Ensure that the BLASTER environment variable is set to the following:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

This can be observed by simply typing SET BLASTER and pressing the Enter key in MS-DOS Prompt.

As for Windows drivers, you can get updated ones here and here. It is recommended as it has the handy AWE Control Panel utility that lets you use SF2 SoundFonts with MIDI music.

Edit: Just typing SET without any parameters will show all the environment variables set including BLASTER. What I said previously was just a habit from using 4DOS. 😁

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 9, by MrSzalonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-05-24, 13:49:
Can you show the how the rest of the resources are set for the AWE32? […]
Show full quote
I changed it from 10 to 5, but the problem remained. Can you send me a driver that can override the windows default or something […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

GrbFjFdh_o.png

From what I can see, change the first and the second "Direct Memory Access" to 1 and 5 respectively. Ensure that the BLASTER environment variable is set to the following:

This can be observed by simply typing SET BLASTER and pressing the Enter key in MS-DOS Prompt.

As for Windows drivers, you can get updated ones here and here. It is recommended as it has the handy AWE Control Panel utility that lets you use SF2 SoundFonts with MIDI music.

Thank you! I'm on a holiday and I can only try it on Sunday.

Reply 9 of 9, by MrSzalonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-05-24, 13:49:
Can you show the how the rest of the resources are set for the AWE32? […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

GrbFjFdh_o.png

Edit: Just typing SET without any parameters will show all the environment variables set including BLASTER. What I said previously was just a habit from using 4DOS. 😁

I'm back from the holiday. I tried the disk driver. It crashed windows 98 on boot over and over again, but my files might be corrupted because no folders showed up when I installed it. Thank you, I'll try to investigate tomorrow. Thank you!