VOGONS

Daggerfall in pure dos

Topic actions

First post, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heyyyo,
I can get Steam or Gog Daggerfall working on my Windows 98SE pc with a few tweaks, but it runs too fast. Normally I would turn to pure dos mode for this but when I run my batch file to play the game the pc just reboots. Is there anything I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am as smooth as a gravy train with flaming biscuit wheels.

Reply 1 of 11, by Greywolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried the non steam , GoG version
And do you want to play the game or get it working on win98se
As dosbox will let you throttle the speed in increments until you’re satisfied with the game speed

I still have the original disc but can’t remember if it’s the dos version or the tweaked win95 version haven’t played it in over 25 years

Reply 2 of 11, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try the gog version and see if that changes things. I only want to run the game on my Windows 98 pc. It's too slow for Dosbox.

Reply 3 of 11, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you aren't trying for original experience and just want to play the game with the best possible performance I'd just recommend you play Daggerfall Unity on a modern machine. Which is free as well.

Reply 4 of 11, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to play the game on dos if possible.

Reply 5 of 11, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cursed Derp wrote on 2024-05-28, 16:07:

I would like to play the game on dos if possible.

I can see no reason whatsoever to play Daggerfall in DOS, cause it won't work well and it will be buggy, as it has a ton of bugs and stability issues. Daggerfall Unity is really the only way to properly experience and enjoy the game. You get better graphics, better music, bug fixes, and mods.

Reply 6 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Halt!

Unity is nice but kind of breaks the magic feeling of DOS gaming. I too would prefer the original experience if at all possible. End of message.

Halt!

Reply 8 of 11, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cleanest experience on bare metal, would come from the Bethesda hosted free download, I feel.

You will need a period correct rig.

(As others have pointed out, the game is INFAMOUSLY buggy. Trying to use 'the usual methods' to throttle a modern rig to those speeds, may well break it in newm previously unimagined ways.)

The suggestion to use Daggerfall Unity, is like suggesting OpenMW for Morrowind.

If you want 'the original expetience' there, go get a winxp machine with a geforce 2, and between 512 and 1gb of ram. Expect lots of crashes.

Same here. Get a 486, with about 8mb of ram. Run dos 6.22 on it. Expect crashes and glitches.

Reply 9 of 11, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would stand by the above. My attempt at getting the game run with a more modern rig in DOS resulted in jerky and unusable mouse controls, which practically bar one from being able to play, as fighting just didnt work right. Movement wise, in principle, it was tolerable. This was totally against my expectation of taking advantage of better gardware for smooth gameplay.

I think I was applying patches on top of the version from GoG though. Dont remember it being Bethesda...

E: He-he, I took notes

Details

[?] Daggerfall (GoG)
--------------------
Starts in Windows and DOS with SB Pro/MPU-401.
Mouse, monsters and movements are jerky, slowdown utility does not help.
When patched to work with DOS32/A does not start

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 10 of 11, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox runs Daggerfall better than original hardware. I run it with ~33000 fixed cycles (which should be in the ballpark of a 100MHz 486 or an original Pentium).

I tried getting this game running on a Celeron 300A system years ago and it was a headache

Reply 11 of 11, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for all your replies! I'll just have to be happy with super fast aiming on steroids. I appreciate the specs, explanations, and suggestions.