Rank

Hello! How are you doing, guys?

I've just completed a win98SE build with spare parts i've found. Its specs:

- ASUS P4S800 mobo (LGA478)
- Celeron D 315 (2,26 Ghz)
- Ram: 256 Mb
- Generic soundcard (Crystal CS4280)
- Fx5200 agp - 128mb

I tested some games with this machine and many of them run perfectly well (unreal gold, unreal tournament 99, ToCA2, Delta Force 2, Ignition,AoE2,...).

However, when I installed NFS III and NFS - High Stakes, I had some strange problems with my keyboard. If I try them in software mode, I can play without any problems. But when I try to use Direct X mode, my keyboard inputs hangs here and there. I can't navigate the menu, control the car, or even pause and exit the game. Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock also do not work when the inputs are locked (the keyboard LEDs do not turn on/off).

I've already tried using the Modern Patch for both games, but without success.

What could it be? What could I do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't had this exact issue but These 2 games always give me trouble as well.
Most compatible Nvidia drivers are either 56.64 (30.82 is also a good driver but too early for your GF FX)
At least once I limited myself to DX7 or 8, although have definitely run the game with DX9

Reply 2 of 2, by Kruton 9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone here reported the same issue in NFS Porsche Unleashed, when using GeForce FX card with 4x.xx drivers. Try different drivers. I remember playing NFS 3-5 a lot with more modern drivers and Windows XP on similar to yours hardware.