VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old software for Windows 3.x that has been backed up the wrong way. The files from each floppy has been zipped, but the installation program needs the volume labels to be correct when installing them. So how could I find out the correct volume labels for the floppy disks? Is there some debugger for Windows 3.x I could use to see what happens when it asks for next floppy during installation?

Reply 1 of 6, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try opening the installation program executable in a hex editor and seeing if you can spot the volume labels. You can just look through the whole file or try searching for some combinations of letters that you suspect might be part of the volume labels (like "DISK" or a few letters of the software's name).

If that doesn't work, Windows 3.x can run in DOSBox and DOSBox has a special debugger version, so you might try that.

Reply 2 of 6, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe the volume label should be some number instead of letters. Therefore it is difficult to find out what it could be. I have gone through the file with hex editor also.

Reply 3 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The volume label is a name with up to 11 characters. Many games check that to see if the correct disk has been inserted. However, I've never seen that being used for Windows games. What games are we talking about exctly?

The serial number which is randomly generated when formatting is something different. It's not used for anything.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe if you copy all the floppies into 1 folder it will run all the way though?
Had programs like that in the past