VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i was recording one video to my channel about upgrading my Athlon XP 1700+ and GF FX5200 to a Athlon XP2800+ and a Radeon 9600 XT and after booting i downloaded the drivers from the official website but when i was trying to install it said that no compatible hardware was found, i went into safe mode and installed the inf from device manager, it booted but it kept crashing the games and ones that didn't crashed had terrible performance, 3DMark 01 SE crashed, 3DMark03 crashed.
To rule out that the processor wasn't the problem i brought back my GF FX5200 and its working great(the PSU i refurbished by changing all electrolytic caps and changing the fan, and it is rated for 60 amps on +5v).
I'm pretty sure that is a driver issue because the 9600 works fine on my Windows 98 Rig(using more older drivers).
Which version of the XP drivers you guys recommend me?

Edit: and to rule out, i brought the ram timings back to CL2,5(SPD timings)

Reply 2 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

Nope, not working fine.
That is what i downloaded.
Maybe some incompatibility with the kt400 chipset?

Reply 3 of 6, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the past, I had problems with an ABIT KT7A v1.0 not working with FX and GF6 series cards, but it was fine with Radeon 9600XT and 9800XT cards.

If you have a spare hard drive, I would pop it in and do a clean install of WinXP SP3. It has drivers for the 9600XT built in, if I remember right. Then you can install the official v10.2 drivers and see what happens.

Reply 4 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

In the past, I had problems with an ABIT KT7A v1.0 not working with FX and GF6 series cards, but it was fine with Radeon 9600XT and 9800XT cards.

If you have a spare hard drive, I would pop it in and do a clean install of WinXP SP3. It has drivers for the 9600XT built in, if I remember right. Then you can install the official v10.2 drivers and see what happens.

Yes the bulit in drivers gave me 4 fps on cs 1.6(steam version) menu, the fx 5200 was able to run the game at 50-60 fps, most games started to crash on startup so when i went to upgrade the drivers the issues started.
The driver installer said that i hadn't compatible hardware for the drivers, then i removed the stock drivers and applied the inf file on device manager and then it installed, but the crashes and low fps issues wasnt fixed.
I brought back the fx 5200, installed the drivers and now its working great.
I would consider the card being faulty but it works perfectly on my windows 98 pentium 4(using intel 865 chipset i never had a single crash)
And back in the day when this pc was my main pc i upgraded it from a gf4 mx 440 to one radeon 9550 i had the exact same issue installing the drivers( hence why every other gpu i bought was from nvidia, things with nvidia just worked for me, except when upgrading older cards to much newer drivers like gtx 550 ti to the latest driver available)
I don't really know but it seems to me that is some compatibility issue with my ASUS A7V8X-X.

Edit: i did some research and indeed the Radeon 9600 has compatibility issues with A7V8X-X, thats explain my struggle back in the day and my atruggle nowadays.

Edit2: i'm thinking of using one Quadro FX3000 or one Geforce FX5500.

Reply 5 of 6, by beepee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How much RAM is in your system? I had issues with old radeon drivers BSODing with more than 256mb of RAM. This was in Win2k SP4 on an ALI Alladin V though. Might be a quick thing to try regardless.

Reply 6 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beepee wrote:

How much RAM is in your system? I had issues with old radeon drivers BSODing with more than 256mb of RAM. This was in Win2k SP4 on an ALI Alladin V though. Might be a quick thing to try regardless.

actually i have 512 installed.
Using 256 on a XP machine is kind of pointless, i will leave as it is, i recapped one M2N-X and built a nice XP rig.
but thank you for the answer