VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't seem to get two Westwood games to run on my Pentium 133 system. The games in question are

1. Legend of Kyrandia 2 Hand of Fate which crashes and hard locks at the Virgin Interactive logo at startup
2. Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos which soft locks up at a black screen after character selection

Dearly loved games of mine from the past, anyone know of ways to get them working o nreal Pentium hardware?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both work fine for me with my 233mmx build - no slowdowns or other tricks needed.
Lands CD version updated to 1.02 or floppy version updated to 1.23 and Kyrandia 2 CD version just works (don't have the floppy version of it), both installed from original media.
I think you are missing updates

Last edited by keropi on 2017-12-12, 12:55. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you checked PCGamingWiki or elsewhere for patches?

I played 🤣 on a Pentium 200MMX overdrive system without any problems, so it shouldn't be an issue with Pentiums. I used the GOG version, it has an ISO to burn a full install CD, fully patched as far as I know.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 6, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2. Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos which soft locks up at a black screen after character selection
Is this a download version ?`

i have original floppy version and its fine. No patch.
before i got one as download which has exactly this issue.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 5 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both are illegal download versions. I own both games on GOG but I didn't know how to transfer them to my DOS PC. How does this burning to a CD and installing from there thing work with the installers if I may ask?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Instructions for Lands of Lore on the Google spreadsheet database here: Digital DOS games (GOG, Steam...) Retro PC Compatibility Sheet: We need your input!

I'm not sure Kyrandia will work on a real DOS machine. I believe it's using SCUMMVM and often they remove the executable. But sometimes they don't. Look at The Dig on that spreadsheet as a reference. It is a SCUMMVM game but works in real DOS. Maybe you'll get lucky and Kyrandia will too.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks