VOGONS

First post, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone can someone recommend some win 98 games i can play with this cpu i also have voodoo 2 .
Thank you for any recoemdation 😀

------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 1 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The list is extensive - what type of games do you like to play?

Your CPU is very limiting in the sense that it doesn't have any L2 cache.
However, based on your system specifications, I would say anything released in early to mid 1999 or earlier (Half-life comes to mind).

Reply 2 of 8, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

The list is extensive - what type of games do you like to play?

Your CPU is very limiting in the sense that it doesn't have any L2 cache.
However, based on your system specifications, I would say anything released in early to mid 1999 or earlier (Half-life comes to mind).

Iam quite interested in rpgs , adventure games and fps games mostly 😀

Pentium II 266 MHz
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 3 of 8, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aglenoth wrote:

Iam quite interested in rpgs , adventure games and fps games mostly 😀

For pure FPS, Shogo Mobile Armor Division and Quake II. For all those categories combined in one game, try System Shock II or Thief Gold.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. This is for Windows games on modern systems. If using old hardware ask in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your sig says "Pentium II 266 MHz". Is this a different system?
The Celeron has much better FPU performance than a Pentium MMX of any speed, but is slower than the fastest MMX for productivity software, maybe also for games which are not that dependent on FPU performance. It is not a bad match for a single Voodoo 2, but depending on the game and display resolution it can be slightly CPU limited. See https://www.philscomputerlab.com/voodoo-2-and … ng-project.html
If your board allows it and you want to go that route, it should be easy to overclock it through the FSB. 100MHz FSB should result in 400MHz CPU speed.

Reply 7 of 8, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well yes this is my second system and i just want to see something that is this cpu capable of 😀 Iam not sure if i want to overclock this cpu since it is my last one

Pentium II 266 MHz
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 8 of 8, by shyember

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, definitely overclock it! 😄 The advantage of the early Celerons (besides their lower cost) was that without all those extra transistors (L2 cache), they could overclock quite well!

My favorite gaming machine was my Celeron 667 that I overclocked to 950 MHz via my motherboard's frontside bus.

As for games, you're close to the minimum spec for Serious Sam: The First Encounter. If you haven't played that, it's a real treat.

"Mystique" VIA EPIA EN12000EG | C7 "Esther" @ 1.2GHz| 1GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | PCI-slot multiplier | YMF744 | Radeon 9200SE or Voodoo3 2000 | Windows 2000 & 98SE