VOGONS

First post, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but not super new to DOS computing or retro gaming. Born in 1997, I'm someone who never really got to use MS-DOS in its golden era, but someone who has always found the operating system and the software written for it to be very interesting.

Anyhow, I've got myself a Socket 7 Pentium system that I found in a recycling pile and have rebuilt into a nice machine and have been trying to get the darn thing running correctly. I've got DOS 6.22 and Windows 98SE dual booted successfully, but have been having problems with sound in the only MS-DOS games I have tried in it so far-My copies of Monkey Island. I have tried to get things running correctly for days now, and running them under the pure DOS, vs the DOS under windows 98 has had no effect.

With The Secret of Monkey island (both the original release on 8 floppies, and the later 256 color release on 4) the game will simply crash and refuse to run if I try and force soundblaster mode with the "monkey a" parameter, giving me the error code "run-time error R6003 - integer divide by 0". I was able to get the VGA version to at least start in the soundblaster mode after patching it with the patch available at T.W.O.M.I (The World of Monkey Island), but it simply plays silently without any sound effects from the soundblaster AWE64 or the internal speaker. If I force the games to run via the internal speaker via "monkey i", they run perfectly fine, albeit with the PC speaker sound that I am trying not to use.

With Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge (the 256 color, German language version on 6 {5 1/4} floppies), forcing the game to run in soundblaster mode yields a game that plays perfectly without patching, but without any sound. I tried patching the game with the patch for more sound devices found at T.W.O.M.I, but have again had no luck with the sound besides the basic PC speaker.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Out of desperation I switched the soundblaster out with another ISA card I have thats a little bit less well known from ESS Technologies, model ES1869. I was able to actually get some sound out of this device on at least Monkey Island II, but find the sound the card makes unpleasant compared to that generated by the AWE64, and want to use the AWE64 if possible. I have the drivers for my AWE64 installed along with the plug and play manager that MS-DOS needs to detect the card. The card is detected by MS-DOS on startup and the diagnostic program under the SB16 directory produces perfect results that I can hear (all test tracks play perfectly correct) and it seems that DOS configures the card on startup correctly. I am absolutely out of new ideas to try. I am beginning to worry that this sound card is not compatible with these games (And possibly other DOS titles I intend on playing).

Again, any ideas?

Is there a chance I need to change my soundcard settings from default or install some legacy drivers since it's an AWE64 and not one of the older soundblasters?

Here are the Specs of my build.

Motherboard: Intel Advanced EV Motherboard with socket 7 (I'm not sure of the specific model, as there are so many different flavors of this board)
RAM: 64MB
Video Card: ATI mach64GX 2MB
Sound Card: Creative AWE64 CT4500
Floppy Drives: 1.44mb 3 1/2 and 1.2mb 5 1/4
CD Drive: Creative 12x IDE
Hard Drives: Maxtor 2GB for DOS and Maxtor 6GB for windows IDE

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Reply 1 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Alex, I am not very used to the Monkey Island series, but I vaguely remember
to have heard something about speed sensitivity of the AdLib detection.

So perhaps the computer is just a little bit too fast
(Monkey Island came out when some people still had computers running at 8 to 16MHz).

To make it slower, go to the CMOS setup of your BIOS
and try to disable one of the caches (internal and/or external cache).

Perhaps this will help (no sure, though).

Good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 19, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Hi Alex, I am not very used to the Monkey Island series, but I vaguely remember to have heard something about speed sensitivity […]
Show full quote

Hi Alex, I am not very used to the Monkey Island series, but I vaguely remember
to have heard something about speed sensitivity of the AdLib detection.

So perhaps the computer is just a little bit too fast
(Monkey Island came out when some people still had computers running at 8 to 16MHz).

To make it slower, go to the CMOS setup of your BIOS
and try to disable one of the caches (internal and/or external cache).

Perhaps this will help (no sure, though).

Good luck! 😀

Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately I still am not getting sound from the games, although I like the way they are running at the slower CPU speed; and, as a bonus, the original release is working perfectly. I adjusted my CPU speed using built in hotkeys provided by my BIOS provider. You have fixed one of my problems-one I was going to solve next, so we're ahead!

I am wondering if messing with the settings in the soundblaster utility might fix it, as I seem to remember some more advanced games for DOS from my childhood having options to select different sound card configurations (Blood from Monolith is one standout) down to the channels and number of voices. Perhaps Monkey Island, being a less advanced game, only tolerates one configuration that I am not currently set to. I've checked over the documentation and am sad to report I've found nothing in any of the versions about which sound card settings to use.

Thanks again for the help.

Alex

Reply 3 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Probably might help if you post the config.sys and autoexec.bat. And of course make sure that the Set Blaster environment is set in autoexec.bat.
I vaguley remember needing ctcm.exe running as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 19, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Probably might help if you post the config.sys and autoexec.bat. And of course make sure that the Set Blaster environment is set in autoexec.bat.
I vaguley remember needing ctcm.exe running as well.

Hello Dominus,

Thanks for the help. Here are pictures of my config.sys and my autoexec.bat, along with my blaster settings and what I think is the file you're referring to in my SB16 directory. I hope you are able to make some sense of what's going wrong!

20180122_172531.jpg
20180122_172600.jpg
20180122_172326.jpg
20180122_172251.jpg

Thank you
Alex!

Reply 6 of 19, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

EMM386 ?

Hello agent_x007,

Thanks for stopping by to try and help me out.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to convey to me right now, could you expand a little for me?

I understand that EMM386 allows you to have more memory than 1MB (I believe??) or something similar, however I don't really understand how I might use it to make my programs run with sound, would you mind showing me what I might need to do?

Based off of what you said in your previous post, I tried keying in EMM386, but it came back as driver not installed. What should my next step be. This is a legit copy of 6.22 installed from floppy. I don't have anything from the (4th) add on diskette installed though.

Thanks for your time
Alex

Reply 7 of 19, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The divide by 0 error means your system is too fast. The 486 patch might not fix the timing issue sufficiently for the Adlib audio part, while solving other issues. Try killing your L1 cache completely, the hotkeys only add wait states.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 19, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Galacnor wrote:
Thanks for stopping by to try and help me out. […]
Show full quote
agent_x007 wrote:

EMM386 ?

Thanks for stopping by to try and help me out.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to convey to me right now, could you expand a little for me?

I understand that EMM386 allows you to have more memory than 1MB (I believe??) or something similar, however I don't really understand how I might use it to make my programs run with sound, would you mind showing me what I might need to do?

Based off of what you said in your previous post, I tried keying in EMM386, but it came back as driver not installed. What should my next step be. This is a legit copy of 6.22 installed from floppy. I don't have anything from the (4th) add on diskette installed though.

Thanks for your time
Alex

No problem 😀
EMM386 is memory manager.
Sometimes they are necessary for drivers and programs to understand eachother.

But I think firage is correct in this case. You may require SetMUL program to disable L1 cache (L1D command). Sound problem on Monkey Island also may show up when you didn't used all of the disks for game (ie. you are running not complete install or "demo").

PS. I use DOS 6.22 Enhanced Edition : (link removed)
with Supplemental disk : LINK.
Useful "patch" for the game : LINK.
It creates a DOS version out of CD one.

157143230295.png

Reply 9 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure that DOS 6.22 should be linked here as it's actually a commercial product. MS may not care, but we'd maybe be in trouble if they chose to care. The supplemental disk is probably fine as IIRC it was available for download from their own FTP server for DOS 6.22 users.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 19, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

The divide by 0 error means your system is too fast. The 486 patch might not fix the timing issue sufficiently for the Adlib audio part, while solving other issues. Try killing your L1 cache completely, the hotkeys only add wait states.

Hello firage

I have already solved the issue of the divide by 0. Thank you for the help though. I will go ahead and try killing my L1 cache and will report back to you on if that fixes my sound.

Greetings
Alex

Reply 11 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm not sure that DOS 6.22 should be linked here as it's actually a commercial product. MS may not care, but we'd maybe be in trouble if they chose to care. The supplemental disk is probably fine as IIRC it was available for download from their own FTP server for DOS 6.22 users.

I agree and removed the link.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
agent_x007 wrote:

M$ released source code for DOS 1.1/2.0 over three years ago : LINK.
I thought it meant something different... 🙁

Releasing the source code is just that, a source code release and not a license to distribute that Dos version (let alone a much later version).

Reply 14 of 19, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

agent_x007 wrote:
No problem :) EMM386 is memory manager. Sometimes they are necessary for drivers and programs to understand eachother. […]
Show full quote

No problem 😀
EMM386 is memory manager.
Sometimes they are necessary for drivers and programs to understand eachother.

But I think firage is correct in this case. You may require SetMUL program to disable L1 cache (L1D command). Sound problem on Monkey Island also may show up when you didn't used all of the disks for game (ie. you are running not complete install or "demo").

PS. I use DOS 6.22 Enhanced Edition : (link removed)
with Supplemental disk : LINK.
Useful "patch" for the game : LINK.
It creates a DOS version out of CD one.

Firage and Agent X007-I haven't had any luck so far with getting them to run with sound after I disable the L1 cache. I tried using the Setmul Program suggested by Agent X007, and it does say it disables my cache, but I can't tell if its making any real difference or not, it almost seems like it isn't doing anything, but maybe I'm nuts. should I be running the setmul program from a specific directory or is it perhaps not compatible with my pentium? I tried another program I found here on VOGONS called the "Cache enable/disable utility for DOS". It seems to succeed in doing its job, so well in fact that it prevents the command prompt from running due to what seems like a conflict with the HIGHMEM program which autoexecutes on boot and crashes my system.

The only thing you two have suggested that I haven't tried is using EMM386, but I'm still confused about how to obtain it (you don't have to link it, is it on my disk 4?) and how to use it to see if it can fix this problem.

Out of curiosity, I also booted up another MS-DOS game left over from my childhood, Super Seeker's Treasure Mountain from the Learning Company (My original big box complete with both 5.25 and 3.5 inch diskettes and all the documentation) to see if similar problems with soundblaster sound could be found there. I am unfortunately not getting any soundblaster sound out of that game either. (Although the windows reboot of the game runs perfectly fine in Windows 98SE with all its soundtracks) This has me worried that the problem is quite serious. There's no way that something on the card is defective, even if its passing all its diagnostic tests, is there? The card also has a few rows of pins that might be for jumpers along with the connector for what I think is a memory expansion; but I can't find any information on what they might do, it seems that my CT4500 is some kind of late ISA version of the card and is not a very common example of the AWE64.

I have also tested a game more in line with this computers era, Duke Nukem 3D shareware edition. I am getting the sound effects, but no music. In the DUKE3d setup program I can configure the SFX card extensively, but am only given the choice of what kind of music card to use with no further elaboration. Its been a long time, can my soundblaster output the music and SFX at the same time or do I need two cards for that one?

Thank you all for the help.
Alex

Reply 16 of 19, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your Sound Blaster can certainly do both effects and music.

For music in Duke Nukem 3D, your AWE64 should be compatible with: Adlib, Sound Blaster (Still AdLib), General Midi (330h), and AWE 32.

Check which ones of these are functional. I recommend that you go into the mixer program and ensure that all volume levels are set correctly.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 17 of 19, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

You need to run AWEUTIL /S to get music out of an AWE64. Your Autoexec.bat seems to be missing it.

You've got her. Everything works as it should now that aweutil is loaded into the autoexec.

Thanks everyone so much for their help on this one.
Does anyone want to hear the AWE64?

Greetings
Alex

Reply 18 of 19, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this thread is dead but probably people will still come here with this issue...

To run MONKEY ISLAND 2 with soundblaster sound you need to type "monkey2.exe s"

the executable file takes a few parameters.. you can type money2 /? to see them

cheers

Reply 19 of 19, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nunoalex wrote on 2023-06-09, 21:24:
I know this thread is dead but probably people will still come here with this issue... […]
Show full quote

I know this thread is dead but probably people will still come here with this issue...

To run MONKEY ISLAND 2 with soundblaster sound you need to type "monkey2.exe s"

the executable file takes a few parameters.. you can type money2 /? to see them

cheers

Man, You nailed it!!! I'm just trying to find the reason why it wont work, and this is the solution. Works perfectly with Vibra 16C (CT2960)!
Thanks a lot!