VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So last night after work I got into a mood to maybe install Warp 4 on one of my old boxes that I've been meaning to do some work on. I picked up my Warp 4 box, which I knew I had opened up some months ago in an attempt to install Warp 4 in a virtual machine (epic fail) and the box was disturbingly light. I've got the install CD media in there but not the floppies and I think I must be missing one or more of the manuals.

I'm sure I must have mislaid it in my house somewhere, I have a bad habit of having multiple projects going at once and then getting things disorganized.

My question is: can I generate new boot disks from the install CD? I seem to remember there is a way to do this. I've also been thinking about making backup ISO CDs of the Warp 3 and 4 install media I have so that I've got them just in case. Any good way to do this or just use anything that can generate a CD ISO image?

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello snorg,I don't know about OS/2 4.51,
but I believe stock OS/2 Warp 4.0 was not bootable yet.

Even though it was released shortly after Win95, it was a bit behind the times as
far as overall hardware support was concerned..

With the notable except of PCMCIA, APM, support for larger HDDs
and graphics support (GRIDD; DIVE was comparable to DirectDraw).

In contrast to OS/2 Warp 3 it shipped with support for generic IDE/ATAPI drives, though.
So all you need it is a set of boot disks. You can make them yourself with the help of the OS/2 CD-ROM.

A step-by-step tutorial is available here:

Installing OS/2: Boot disks
http://www.basterfield.com/pc110/os2/os2-2.htm

Alternatively, you can also download them from the web or you can try to create a bootable CD-ROM.
I believe there even were some updated disks floating around for Warp 3.

Good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//